1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Climate Change? Nahhh ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Riptide, Oct 23, 2015.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

It's a quote from St. Greta's essay ...

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Personally, I think Stockholmers' Creed plays best on a PS 5, but some folks prefer the Xbox X with the 4K graphics card.

Batman and Inky_Wretch like this.
  3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Remember 18 months ago when the environmental cultists removed all our hamburgers by force because Joe Biden was under the magic spell of the cools or something? Boy, them was the days.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Get woke, go broke Pentagon!!!

dixiehack likes this.
  5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Yeah, it was ironic. I've posted about how the Pentagon is a dedicated climate prepper several times, most notably about the work they're doing to try to salvage the port facilities and base at Norfolk. It floods worse than Miami with a strong high tide. I'm not joking about the electric 4x4's either - Priuses have been a joke with that crowd, but the torque on electric motors isn't a joke, and being able to spread a solar panel to refuel is pretty strong in the back country. Beau was speculating that the Gravy Seal crowd that had to have the Mas Macho Hummer (that they never take off road) would be going over to the civilian model of the new electric LRV. They are producing a civilian version at the same time they spin up the military vehicle.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I suspect Az and most of the folks here are in on the joke; they damn well know they wouldn't want to live like this:

When it comes to clothes, she says the focus should be on reusing more: ‘We need to start using much less, we can borrow things from each other, we can reuse. I would say that 90% of my clothes I have gotten from others – everything I’m wearing now [she points to her colourfully striped cotton shirt and trousers].’ She doesn’t buy new things, she doesn’t own a car – or fly. She famously sailed to the UN Summit in New York on a boat with no shower or toilet: ‘It was fun! I really enjoyed it!’ But, above all, she says: ‘I am an activist and try to create change that way.’

We're not going to some oddly postmodern, super-moral, nobody-ever-gets-hurt-and-everybody-wins version of the 1400s. So I think the vibe of the board - and many progressives - is "well, yeah, we're not going to do all that, but the thought is nice and she's a kid and what's wrong with somebody throwing our lives in our face every once in awhile if something incrementally good comes out of it."

I think I'm just too pedantic, at least on this issue, to see it that way. To me it seems hypocritical to simultaneously post, at length, about a dying planet and the leading climate priestess's doomy writings about it, and then play it off as a joke when someone takes it at face value.

7. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I should take “taxation is theft” at face value, right?

It’s not just a saying to get us to lower the marginal tax rate?

8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

The Doc I used to work for had a sign on his private office door that read "They're not taxes. It's my money and they're trying to steal it."

9. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

And I accept it as a strategy to lower taxes, not to abolish all taxes…

Just like you don’t take an initial offer in a negotiation as something to get angry about.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

She's got nothing on me ... I got all of my clothes "from others".

12. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

I’m so glad the DH is universal.

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted