1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College and the demographics cliff

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Mar 1, 2024.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

We talked about this a bit in another thread, but there is about to be a sharp drop off in high school graduates thanks to the lower birth rates from the time of the recession at the close of the 2000s.

A lot more stories like this in the years to come.

https://www.wkyc.com/article/news/l...ester/95-ded59e15-51e5-4638-84ec-529621b4c29b

The bill to close three of Mississippi’s public universities isn’t going anywhere, but eventually some of these schools will get the ax.

https://mississippitoday.org/2024/0...universities-says-it-has-slim-chance-to-pass/

2. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

If only there was a way we could get replacement students. Like if we call ourselves the Shining City on a Hill, and welcome people from other countries. Their kids could go to college.

3. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

New England has as a lot of small colleges. A lot have or will close in the next few years.

This download has a collection of articles about the subject.

https://www.neacac.org/assets/docs/Committees/Tough times for New England higher ed.pdf

It started before the pandemic as enrollment was already falling. This from August 2020.

Fighting for Survival | The Plight of Small New England Colleges

4. Brooklyn Bridge

New England, which has seen zero population growth due to NIMBYism. You want young people, you have to give them a place to live. Connecticut is down tens of thousands of new housing units. Vermont is the same way. I’m
    Sure Massachusetts is similar.

5. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

It’s a reason I think unemployment will remain relatively low even in downturns in this new era.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

We lost a 93-year-old college in 2019. Several colleges in Vermont have shuttered the last 5 years.

7. Brooklyn Bridge

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I left my university gig two years ago and the anxiety over this was already considerable. Many state schools increasingly count on out-of-state students paying full freight and when there's fewer of them, yikes.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Sorry but you'll have to forgive me for not shedding a tear over the consolidation of the higher education racket in America.

10. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Pennsylvania already merged several of its smaller public colleges into one uni.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Neutral Corner likes this.
  12. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I teach at a private R1, and it received more applications for next year than ever before. Administration is worried about the upcoming demographic shift, but it hasn't hit us yet.

Draft saved Draft deleted