1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College and the demographics cliff

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Mar 1, 2024.

1. Woody Long

Woody Long Well-Known Member

That tracks for ECHL ownership of the mid-1990s and minor league hockey ownership in general...

And I'm now going to dive down a rabbit hole to find out what happened to Gagnon. It's probably a hell of a story.

dixiehack and Liut like this.
  2. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Good luck. Hope you discover something. I tried a few years ago, half-heartedly, and didn't come up with anything.

3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I think my brother's old lacrosse coach was one of the ones who bought the team off of Gagnon, but there may have been an owner in between.

The Express was shockingly interesting back in the day for whaleshit hockey. Anzalone, a Russian scoring line back when (as far as I recall) that wasn't as much of a thing, two good, opinionated goalies. Plus the GM's daughter graduated from high school with me and was hot as hell - pretty sure she wound up as an NBA cheerleader for a while.

Liut likes this.
  4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

It’s too niche a subject to be commercially viable but I’d read the shit out of a book on the 90s ECHL.

maumann likes this.
  5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

A friend of mine wrote a book about the history of pro hockey in Indianapolis. Now that's a niche subject.

6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

dixiehack and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  7. dixiehack

At least their priorities are in order.

https://uskathletics.com/news/2024/4/25/general-university-of-saint-katherine-ceases-operations.aspx

8. dixiehack

9. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

It was interesting to see several schools named in that story who I have seen in standings, rankings, polls, etc. over the years, and not just barely relevant D-III's. I'm pretty sure St. Rose was a thing in D-II out East and Notre Dame (Ohio) had a scheduling agreement with the GLIAC during its 16-team megaconference age in which it extended from Houghton to Canton.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

11. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Not to be a vulture picking over bones, but some of these small colleges could be cool housing developments. The interest in the area probably declines with the loss of a college.

12. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I'd like to blame this thread for a lengthy and weird dream I had last night that took place at a now-defunct bible college in the UP that I have never seen.

Draft saved Draft deleted