1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College FB coaching openings

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Nov 18, 2008.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Oregon tabs another "coach in waiting." This is getting stupid. If I'm Chip Kelley, I take the Syracuse job and say I'm always open to coming back in the future. It doesn't sound like Bellotti is planning on leaving in the next couple of years, and I really wonder what impact these kinds of moves have on recruiting.

2. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Does it matter anymore? Really?

3. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Sadly, no. I do wish it did though. :'(

4. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Of all the coaches in waiting -- And I think we are up to five now? (Texas, Kentucky, FSU, Oregon, Va. Tech) --- how many of them are actually going to continue to wait to be coaches?

5. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Why the hell does Kentucky need a coach in waiting?

6. zagoshe

More importantly -- seeing how those ingrateful redneck jackasses treated Tubby Smith --why the hell would Joker Phillips WANT to be the next coach there.......

7. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Tommy Bowden to Starkville. Discuss.

8. zagoshe

Tommy? I thought they were looking at Terry

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'd love to see Terry Bowden back. MissState isn't going to get someone with a better resume. Plus we'd have one more link in the circle of hate that is the SEC.

10. zagoshe

Would you rather have Terry or Tommy? I think Tommy's resume is better to be honest, despite Terry's 11-0

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Tommy will recruit better. Terry will work harder. Both would provide a short sugar rush to MSU, followed by a lapse back into torpor. They are better off finding a coordinator on the make.

12. zagoshe

You think it could be a package deal? Perhaps Terry as head coach, Tommy as Offensive coordinator?

I mean seriously, I think a lot of schools out there could do a whole lot worse than Tommy Bowden. The guy didn't win a championship, he did sort of wear his welcome out -- but his record is like 96-48 as a head coach which tells me he won a helluva lot more than he lost and he always recruited well.

I'm sorry, but if you are asking me -- Tommy Bowden would have been a more reasonable pick by Tennessee than the 32-year old Raiders flunkie they hired.......

Draft saved Draft deleted