1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College FB coaching openings

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

He's got the arm, that's for sure. It's the rest that may not quite add up. All reports out of C'ville had his teammates hating him - not a good quality for a QB. Plus let's just say that Oregon may not be the best place for him to keep his rumored "off-field activities" in check.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Saban's making $4 mil a year at Bama, I'd be really surprised to think a team, college or pro, wouldn't be willing to fork out $5 mil a year. I don't think his comments on coaches getting tossed overboard in the SEC were made without one eye looking ahead. It's what has made him a successful coach. He saw where the Dolphins were - and made a good call.

3. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Between the money Gundy and Pinkel got, I'm afraid of the dough Stoops will get come time for his next extension.

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Isn't this a common misconception about his contract? Help me out, Alabama beat writers. I was under the impression that if he stays all eight seasons, the total payout, including longevity bonus, will come to $32 million, but his annual salary is not $4 million.

Not that I wouldn't take what he is making, but still.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If some NFL team wanted Saban as generalissimo, which I doubt after the Dolphins farce, they'd happily pay more than $4 mil a year. Much more. It'd be worth it to them.

6. Johnny Dangerously

And -- this is key, in my opinion -- if that NFL team is owned by an older man who appeals to Saban as a father figure, in addition to being the uncommon man who commands Saban's unquestioning respect and admiration for, among other things, being in the rare air of a level of success that gets you an NFL franchise, that part of it will be all but irresistible to him.

7. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

JD,

What NFL job would fit that description (older, respectable, non-meddling owner with a track record of success)? I can think of two - Pittsburgh (I'm guessing Tomlin will be there for a while given the Rooney family's track record) or New England (but only if Belichick decides to quit and he seems like too much of a workaholic). But I really don't see Saban getting either job.

8. Johnny Dangerously

My definition of success is not limited to the NFL team's performance. You have to be pretty successful to have an NFL team and keep it, I think. I think being in that rare air gets Saban's attention, even if an owner inherited his money.

Anyway, the only prediction I'm making is Saban won't be at Alabama for more than five years. The other thing is part of my psychological profile of the guy after being around him for five years, and people are free to dismiss the wet-finger psychology if they want. I know what I know about the guy, and I saw it when Huizenga courted him.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I could see Detroit and Cleveland handing over the keys to Saban. He's got a lot more ties to the Midwest (Michigan State, Kent State) than he does the deep south. Anyone who doesn't see this becoming a story in the coming weeks is kidding themselves. Especially if Bama gets housed on Saturday.

10. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

JD,

Saban seems dead-set on becoming the next Larry Brown, but every move he made has been a logical one. Michigan State was a pretty good first HC job. LSU is a better job than Michigan State. The Dolphins job is probably better than LSU. And between the money he is making, the absolute power he holds within the state and the ability to succeed, it is almost impossible to top Bama right now. USC would offer money and success, but not the absolute adulation. So I can't think of a better college job. And Pitt/NE are the only pro jobs that might be appealing enough. I just don't see how he "moves up."

11. Johnny Dangerously

I understand that point of view, and in some ways -- intellectually -- I subscribe to it. But I'll believe he stays at Alabama more than five years when I see it.

One correction: Michigan State was not his first head coaching job.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Hmmn. Older man owner. How about a gaga older owner who might put a coach in his freakin' will? You know, the one in the windbreaker.
    Or, we all know it's just a matter of time before either the Vikings or Jaguars beat feet to LA. The owner will immediately make a play for Carroll. But if Pete decides to stay at USC, Saban would be a logical choice as well.
    Malibu or Tuscaloosa? The question answers itself.

Draft saved Draft deleted