1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College FB coaching openings

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Looks like Chizik has emerged as the front-runner at Auburn. Seriously.

I'd provide a link but it's subscriber-only.

Wow. Boy that hire sure would galvanize the fan-base.

I know just because he hasn't won at Iowa State doesn't mean he won't win at Auburn. But 5-19 is still 5-19.

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Along those lines, I'm real surprised Mike Locksley has to start at New Mexico, or New Mexico State, whichever. It doesn't really matter.

The guy recruits his ass off, and made Illinois one of the most popular schools for big time talent in the DC area. Maryland has not been as good since he left. How he got guys like Aurelius Benn and Vontae Davis to go to Champagne I'll never know, but he did. You figure someone who does that good a job wouldn't have to go to New Mexico.

Then again, Locksley is black.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

FHB, Of course you know how Illinois suddenly started getting recruits like Aurelius Benn in 2007.

The funny thing is that if Zook and crew have cheated, they're not very good at it. I remember how everyone was up in arms two years ago over their recruiting class, but other than Benn and Martez Wilson, not much has really panned out. And it has pretty much shown on the field. Most either never enrolled (one in prison now), are playing JUCO ball, are off the team for academic issues or transferred away (D'Angelo McCray to Eastern Illinois, for example).

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Zook is a great recruiter. He's a horrible coach. He got lucky last year.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If Chizik is hired, and they're not in a bowl next season, Auburn will be doing this again at this time next year.

6. Steak Snabler

Are you talking about Zook or Les Miles?

7. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

It's New Mexico. It matters because NM State is the D-I school with the longest bowl drought (1960). And I believe they still don't have a coach.

8. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

The fact that ISU sent out a press release last night confirming Chizik as a candidate says to me they wouldn't mind seeing him go.

The fact that he whacked both of his coordinators at the end of the season says to me he's under some heat from the administration. And Iowa State's AD has never been shy about bouncing coaches (basketball coach Greg McDermott, you might be next after that shoddy performance against Iowa last night).

Still, I agree with an earlier post — I can't see Auburn folks being fired up hiring a head coach that went 5-19 at his current stop.

9. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Chizik < Tuberville. Auburn = Fail.

10. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

... in what they consider an inferior conference to their own.

Two years from now, Auburn may look at Tuberville's 5-7 this season and view it as the good old days. This is the train wreck that keeps on giving.

11. Steak Snabler

When was the last time a coach lost his last 10 games at a school, and then got a better job?

And, let's remember, that Chizik's 2-10 (0-8 Big 12) this year didn't include Oklahoma, Texas or Texas Tech on the schedule ...

What an awful, awful choice if he ends up getting the job ... though I'm sure Alabama and Georgia fans will be thrilled.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The Locksley hire is a good one. I think New Mexico is one of the better places to coach, great area, but you would have thought he would have been a natural to replace Groh at Virginia if the post came open.
    I understand hiring coaches has as much to do with "marketing" as anything else - how often have we heard programs are seeking a young, dynamic coach to energize the program. Anyone think if Mike Leach looked or acted more like Urban Meyer, Bob Stoops or Pete Carroll he would still be in Lubbock? I understand it. You want a coach who can sell himself and sell the program. The coaches with a quantifiable track record you would bet your first born child on are rare (Stoops, Saban, Meyer), so you take a shot on someone who makes you "believe" with a background similar to those mentioned above.

Draft saved Draft deleted