1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College FB coaching openings

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Nov 18, 2008.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

From the Columbus Ga. paper:

A group of fans gathered at the airport just before the university plane landed. One particularly vocal fan loudly booed the plane as it drove by, extending his arms and giving two thumbs down.
    As Jacobs walked off the tarmac, the fan yelled, “We want a leader, not a loser.”

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

One is dead (Jordan). The other is 69 years old. Quit trying to be cute.

3. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Bullshit, Drip. Pat Dye would have not had a problem if Gill was offered the job.

The real issue at hand is how does a school, known for its football prowness, runs off one the most successful coach they have had. He beat 'Bama six times, should have played for a 2004 national title, and was a damn good coach in crunch time. He has one bad year and "Boom goes the dynamite" and Tommy gets run off.

If Auburn was so sure that they could find a better coach than Tuberville, then today's events should clearly show that they had no plan in place to replace Tuberville. This was a "reaction" firing, to appease that batshit faction of the boosters and fans. "We don't approve of goin' 5-7 and loosing to Alabammer and that deeerty scoundrel of a man, Mr. Saban."

Auburn was desperate to land someone with Auburn ties. No other factors were considered. The AD will get blown out at this time next year. Mark it down.

And, I stand by what I said about Shug and Dye. They are THAT pissed, dead or not, Sherlock.

4. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Whatever the Auburn administration, or whoever it was approved this hire, is smoking, I would like some.

When this came out, I seriously thought it was a joke. I mean, Gene Chizik? If the guy can't even win in the Big 12 North, what is the SEC going to to do to him? They are going to eat him up and spit him back out again.

5. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

You're the one calling Shug Jordan and Pat Dye racist.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

My immediate first thought this afternoon was that Bobby Lowder called this, rather than somebody with any common sense.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Ummm, Gene? About that buyout...
    "Yeah? I figure Auburn will pay a million bucks of it."
    Tell you what. Because you really looking forward to it, don't worry about it. In fact, can we lend you the plane? Pay the moving costs?

And yeah, this has Lowder all over it...

8. lono

lono Active Member

Chizik sounds like a made-up word in a Snoop Dogg rhyme.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

2, 3, 12, 18, 20

10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I think Auburn should have hired Franchione.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Leaves the Si-clones job open for... Wlat?

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

So he could leave again in two years? And leave a trail of mess behind him?

Might as well try to pry Lou Holtz out of Bristol ...

Draft saved Draft deleted