1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College FB coaching openings

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Nov 18, 2008.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

ESPN reporting Hoke is in at SD State. Seems kind of odd going from a non-BCS to a non-BCS, the Aztecs paid Long around $750,000 last year. An interesting choice, both by Hoke and the school.

2. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I was hoping for Walker, but apparently his interview didn't go all that well. I'm pretty positive about Hoke, though. They could have done a lot worse (in fact, Auburn did).

Kinda interested in Whitlock's take on this.

3. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Question: With Rutgers' AD having been fired and the stadium fundraising drive having collapsed, does Greg Schiano become a player again?

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

A player where? Ball State? Iowa State?

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

San Diego is nicer than Muncie this time of year. Or any other time of year.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Funny I heard the same thing about Gill's interview at Auburn, apparently they wanted to know why Auburn should pick him to be their coach when Nebraska passed him over last year. A decent question, but the "didn't interview well" thing is getting to be as tired as "wants to spend more time with his family."
    Why not just say Hoke has a proven record as a head coach?

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

They weren't happy? Bullshit. So they hire Chizik? No wonder the BCA is upset. Gill could have done well there. And the lie about "he doesn't interview well" translate to we don't want a black guy running the program. It is what it is. They won't tell the truth because the know it may scare young recruits away.
    I know how things could change very quickly. If outstanding black players decide to go to HSBCU's. You'd see major colleges begin hiring black coaches and coordinators very quickly.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

yeah, SDSU is a move up, program-wise?

Candidates of every color "don't interview well."
    In Auburn's case, the candidate that Bobby Lowder wanted was going to get hired -- black, white, albino... whatever. Is it wrong, of course. Is Lowder a tool? Yes. Is it going to help your college by hiring Turner Gill, knowing your top booster and trustee is going to submarine him and make sure he's not going to get a chance to succeed? No.

9. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Didn't I read somewhere that Hoke doesn't get paid much and doesn't even have offices for his assistants? Maybe I'm making that up.

10. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Slappy, you nailed it right there with the Gill/Auburn angle. Gill probably called a few coaches and also asked Osborne about Auburn. Lowder and Company would stab any coach in the back on a dime, white or black.

11. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Mark Schlabach on ESPN yesterday said that a couple of SEC assistants told him Gill would never get the Auburn job not because he's black, but because he has a white wife. Same problem with Charlie Strong.

12. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Their loss, then.

Draft saved Draft deleted