1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College FB coaching openings

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

2. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Trying to get this back on topic from another boots-jack ...

Anyone who's ever spent any amount of time in Gill's company knows how right both you and SEC Guy are, Mizzou. Three years from now, the team Gill is coaching -- unfortunately, probably not UB -- will be in the Top 25, and Auburn won't. I look forward to that day.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

I agree. In a lot of ways, not getting the Auburn job, although disappointing, might be the best thing to happen for Gill.

4. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

It's the good ol' boy network of HBCU honkies, right?

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

lol, yeah.
    But on a serious note, if the best African American athletes began attending HBCU's in large numbers, I really think it would change the thinking of hiring African American coaches and coordinators at major universities.
    It won't happen, but if it did....

6. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

The Round Mound of Rebound chimes in:
    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3770769

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

The story's last two paragraphs were perfect and pretty much summed up what is happening.

Barkley's last Barkley said he wanted Gill to become Auburn's coach because Auburn is a school where an African-American coach could be successful.

"My biggest problem with the black coaches is they're not getting jobs and they're getting [expletive] jobs when they are hired," Barkley said. "They're not getting good jobs. They're not getting jobs where they can be successful. That's why I wanted Turner to get the Auburn job. He could win consistently at Auburn. You can't win consistently at New Mexico. You can't win consistently at Kansas State. He could have won at Auburn."

8. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

With all due respect to Barkley's insight, I think not getting the Auburn gig is ultimately in Gill's best interest. There's a precedent of one bad season being enough to cost a coach his job. I don't see him being into the idea of firing a coordinator simply at the behest of the boosters.

Better to take an intermediate step (see: Urban Meyer at Utah) and be successful than jump straight into a high-level, high-pressure BCS job and get tossed aside when things go south and/or he irks the wrong booster. Better gigs will be open sooner rather than later.

If he even manages a .500 record with the Bulls next season after losing his best offensive talent, that might be just as impressive as this year's accomplishments.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

The question that begs to be answered about Gill is why Nebraska (his alma mater) didn't hire him last year when it had the chance.

10. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

With all due respect to Barkley it's a hell of a lot easier to win in the Mountain West and Big 12 North than it is in the SEC.

11. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

The going theory in Lincoln is the defense needed fixing more than the offense, thus the Pelini hire.

Gill would've had every opportunity to hire a good DC, of course. Maybe Pelini was that good in the run-up to the Alamo Bowl....

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I still can't wait to Michael Crabtree transfer to Alabama A&M so he can play for a black coach. ROTFLMAO.

Draft saved Draft deleted