1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College FB coaching openings

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

A STERN reminder that calling someone by a previous name, accurately or not, is frowned upon (and, no, we don't catch all instances. We try, and we caught this). People change names for a variety of reasons, most of them no good. But now and then the reason is good. It may be related to a work situation. Whatever. Don't waste a second of energy trying to figure it out if it is a good reason. Just don't do it.

2. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Fine. I disagree, but I respect you too much not to listen. I still reserve the right to point out his banality, under any name.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

We have a traditionally-black college here in town.

The subject would be a good subject for an enterprising journalist with a national audience to get off his butt and write about ... do we know any of those?

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

I don't think you need a national audience per se. If the story is good, it should be written.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

What I'm saying is this: Somebody with a national audience ... say, a writer at ESPN: The Magazine or Sports Illustrated or even USA Today ... should tackle the topic on that level. Not just another local writer for a local paper.

It's a good national-trend piece and based on the total lack of knowledge I've seen on this thread it needs to be written at that distribution level.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

Oh I understand completely what you are saying. And I totally agree. In a lot of communities where this is happening, it's like an untold but known story.

7. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure SI did a little piece on white athletes at HBCU's five or six years ago.

It wasn't a huge, demanding enterprise story, but it was insightful.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Norfolk State came to town for a baseball game a couple of years back and the team was 70 percent white/Hispanic.

9. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Wow, I just watched some of Pollard's presser at Iowa State. He just tore Chizik to shreds.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Turner Gill at Colorado would be hilarious.

Dan Hawkins has been fucking awful.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Pollard: Chizik told me twice he wasn't taking Auburn job

REGISTER STAFF REPORT • December 15, 2008

Ames, Ia. — Iowa State athletic director Jamie Pollard said today that former football coach Gene Chizik told him twice that he planned to turn down the Auburn job — including the same day he accepted the position.

Pollard expressed clear and consistent frustration that Chizik left the Cyclones after two seasons, five victories and the most recent 2-10 season.

“I know Jamie Pollard couldn’t do that to this place,” Pollard said during his first public comments about Chizik’s departure.

Pollard said Chizik interviewed for the Auburn job on Thursday, but left a voice mail that night saying he would not take the position. Early on Friday, Pollard said, Chizik had reiterated that would remove himself from consideration.

Between 1-5 p.m. on Friday, however, Pollard said he and senior assistant athletic director Steve Malchow were not able to reach Chizik through telephone calls or text messages.

Pollard received a telephone call on Friday night while attending Iowa State’s NCAA volleyball match in Minneapolis from Auburn athletic director Jay Jacobs, letting him know they were hiring Chizik.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20081215/SPORTS020602/81215012

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

Bethune Cookman and FAMU also boast non African-American baseball stars.

Draft saved Draft deleted