1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College FB coaching openings

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Nov 18, 2008.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Hoke will do an outstanding job at SDSU. They finally hired a good coach, unlike the last two jokers there. SDSU's location, weather and population in the primie recruiting area are so superior to anyone in its peer group, with the possible exception of TCU, and that's who you generally recruit against, your peer group.

Hoke will be especially tough if he gets Rocky Long to join him as the DC.

And really, given the choice between Muncie and San Diego ... even if Brady is a Ball State grad, and a long-time Midwesterner. He's spent some time on the West Coast, and has recruited California. This program has the chance for a major, major turnaround.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Don't you have to head in one direction for a significant amount of time somewhere along the way to have a turnaround... Marshall Faulk was good, but a three-year stint doesn't make a program

3. micropolitan guy

They've been going downhill for quite some time, since the Ted Tollner days, that's what I mean by a major, major turnaround.

I think Brady can turn it around to where it's a consistent winner again, as it was under Don Coryell and Claude Gilbert back in the day. His performance at Ball State indicates that, and I think Ball State has far fewer actual and potential resources than SDSU does.

4. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

IT'S DIVISION ONE FOOTBALL

5. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

San Diego's blue-chippers want to play in the Pac-10. That's S.D. St.'s biggest problem.

6. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

How many Indiana blue-chippers (all 3 of them) do you think went to Ball State? California is like Texas - there is enough talent there to be successful with leftovers and transfers if you know what you are doing. Ball State might have been the worst job in the country when Hoke took over.

7. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

What ever happened to Boots?
    I haven't thought about him in a while. Is he still in the biz, or anywhere where he's been spotted recently.
    Damn, I hadn't thought of Boots in months.

8. micropolitan guy

Utah's roster is full of Californians. There are thousands of high school FB players in the region and only 30-40 of them get scholarships to USC or UCLA every year.

SDSU might lose some kids to the Arizonas and to Cal, but the Pac-10 can't take everyone. Lots of SoCal kids wouldn't think twice about staying SoCal to play for a good program rather than heading to the Oregon or Washington schools.

Just saying that job has far more potential than Ball State.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I believe Rocky Long has already signed on as DC at Tulane.

10. micropolitan guy

Missed that, but it makes sense, since Toledo is the guy who hired him away from Oregon State to work at UCLA and they did very welll together.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I didn't realize Toledo was the OC at New Mexico the year before he took the Tulane gig. Long has his work cut out for him, Tulane's defense was terrible this year.

12. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

I'd equate SDSU to South Florida when Jim Leavitt took over. It is, without a doubt, no higher than the fifth-best football program in the state (USF is fourth in Florida). It likely won't ever have the prominence the other four have had for years.

BUT...it's in a great location and it's in a great recruiting area. USF built its program on kids Miami, Florida and FSU didn't want and kids that either fell through the cracks or decided to stay home in Florida as opposed to heading off to a bigger ACC or SEC school. There will always, always, always be good players who'd rather play right away than go to a big name school and sit for two years before seeing significant time.

The only difference is that USF has the clout to say its in a BCS conference (now), whereas SDSU doesn't have that. But there's no reason why a school like SDSU shouldn't have at least moderate success.

Draft saved Draft deleted