1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College FB coaching openings

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Yep. Money wasn't the issue. He wanted the same flexibility Holtz had for partial qualifiers and ND wouldn't give him that.

I said this at the time, if you're going to can a guy (Willingham) simply because you don't want to lose the chance to hire that year's hot coach (Meyer), you pretty much have to give the hot coach everything he wants or you've screwed yourself.

And that's exactly what Notre Dame has done.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

True on the academic standards, but Florida did offer more than $500K a year more than ND was. I'm guessing that was a factor as well.

3. The academic restraints argument is hogwash.

The last three years, Notre Dame has been No. 11, No. 2, and No. 10 in recruiting. Furthermore, these were pre-enrollment. Adjusted rankings for the 25 players who do enroll increase Notre Dame's rankings because, unlike Alabama in 2008 (for instance), the Irish bring in all the players who sign.

Rivals bumped Notre Dame up to No. 1 for 2008.

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=9&c=14&yr=2009

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=9&c=14&yr=2008

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=9&c=14&yr=2009

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I've always heard the biggest problem with Notre Dame is that they don't pay their assistants very well. Don't know if that's changed. Maybe Chuck can take some of the backend of his contract to attract some stud DCs and OCs. I've heard good things about the staff he has, just haven't seen the results on the field.
    But if he brought in "name" for defense and offense it might do something.

5. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

I'm praying for Mike to return. Our defense has STUNK since he's left.

6. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

Will Al Groh still have a job at the end of the season?

His team lost to Duke for christ sake. How is he still holding onto his job?

7. It's not true anymore. And the thing is, he did attract a stud DC. Jon Tenuta, from Georgia Tech, is supposed to be one of the best.

And Notre Dame is a far better job than Tennessee. There's more talent at Notre Dame to win right now. You have the national television contract. You have a cake BCS agreement. You play Michigan State, Purdue and Stanford instead of Alabama, Florida, Auburn, LSU - you get the point. You win a national title at Notre Dame, you have folk songs written about you. Your autobiography gets seven figures.

I'd take Notre Dame over Tennessee and not blink.

The academic argument is ridiculous. Again, you flaunt your graduation rates, etc., and that attracts as many if not more kids than it turns away.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

What was the last year Notre Dame seriously contended for a national title?

9. 2002? They were in the top five going into their ninth game. 2006? They were sixth heading to USC for the last game of the regular season.

Again, I like to use the USC example. When was the last time USC seriously contended for a national title before Pete Carroll came along in 2000 or 2001? I'm sure you could have argued then that Nebraska, Virginia Tech - any number of 1990s wonders - was the better job. How about Oklahoma before Stoops came on board?

There are certain jobs, and Notre Dame is one of them, that are always extra-attractive to someone with a big enough ego, a quality football coaches are not usually lacking.

10. standman

standman Member

Excellent point. Most people know who the head football coach is before the president of the school and it does matter in terms of presentation.
    That said, the BCA should take a look at the number of prominent jobs that have coach in waiting status. The Joker Phillips-Kentucky situation included, something doesn't sit well with a coach at a state school bequeathing his job to anybody.

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The Boomerang says otherwise.

http://www.laramieboomerang.com/articles/2008/11/29/sports/doc4932278e18c4c104488621.txt

12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

They'll have to improve quite a bit if they want to be mediocre.

Draft saved Draft deleted