1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football 2016 Week 1 running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Aug 29, 2016.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Then just go to a six-game conference schedule, with the division winners meeting in the title game. Then play six nonconference games against Houndstooth U and the like. Or get rid of conferences, play 12 games against whoever you want and let the committee pick the best four teams for the “playoff.”

Every other conference plays nine games – except the “vaunted” SEC. If those schools are good enough to be in your conference, then play them. What's the harm? If your teams are the best, then that will show up in the results.

RubberSoul1979 likes this.
  2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

As dixie noted, the SEC is the only place that can schedule FCS teams and make it work financially.

I am consistently amused by the idea that we don't know enough about SEC teams because they only play 11 FBS opponents instead of 12. If it mattered, it would show up in playoff and bowl results. It doesn't and it doesn't.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Only eight league games for ACC schools too. And with no Big 12 title game currently, that league's champ will finish the season with as many conference games as the ACC and SEC champs.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

And the Big Ten just went to 9 games this year, so let's not act like the SEC is some decades-long holdout like a Japanese soldier hiding in a cave on some Pacific island thinking World War II is still going on.

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

well the year it played nobody, TCU destroyed Ole Miss 42-3 at the Peach Bowl. The same Ole Miss team that filled its spot in the Vortex of Power that season by beating Alabama.

6. LongTimeListener

That's cool. You're aware that bowl bids are handed out based on the regular season, correct? Their OOC opponents that year were Samford, Minnesota and SMU.

Also, it's Vortex Of Domination. I trademarked it. And Ole Miss was the vortex's #5 team that year.

7. dixiehack

Want to hear something shocking? At least one major conference champion will be left out this year too.

Donny in his element likes this.
  8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I am similarly amused by the idea that we don't know enough about non-SEC teams because they only occasionally play SEC teams.

9. LongTimeListener

Do I need to go over the Vortex rules again?

As I said earlier, though, none of it matters because we essentially have an elimination tournament now. Where all hell breaks loose is if two SEC teams make the playoffs, or if a two-loss SEC team kicks a one-loss other champion to the curb. But I don't think that will happen.

10. dixiehack

Or if a one loss Notre Dame is bucking for the same spot as a one loss ACC team.

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

LOL ... I get it. I just like tweaking the nose of the SEC narrative, even if it hasn't actually been proffered.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Over the past "decade" (since 2006), the SEC is 12-6 vs. the Pac-12. SEC is 6-1 since Auburn's BCS title win over Oregon.

Only thing helping Pac-12 save face was Tennessee's shitshow of a team (2 debacles vs. Oregon). And even that has changed.

[/peskyfacts]

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
Draft saved Draft deleted