1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football 2016 Week 14/championship week running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Nov 28, 2016.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Penn State in week two. As it stands now, Pitt has wins over the number 2 and 7 teams.

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

One was on the last play of the game against UNC and the other was in the final minute on the road against Okie State. The only game Pitt was truly boatraced was at Miami.

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Got it ... Was looking at their schedule and didn't notice the ranking for PSU.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I did not misspeak.

49-10.

The rest of the world remembers even if you elect to forget.

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I cannot dispute your point, Dick, at least in the way the score will be looked upon.

There's no resemblance between Penn State then and Penn State now, but that really doesn't matter that much nationally in terms of reputation.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

And that doesn't mean I'd support Michigan over Penn State if it shakes out that way. We all know that game would be quite different now. But I don't think the committee would take Penn State.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I think they go argument-shopping in a way that a lawyer could love. If Colorado had won, they could use the available information to construct an argument for keeping Michigan at #4. Since Washington won and #4 is out of reach for Michigan, they'll use the argument that positions the other Big Ten candidate in the best light.

However, this changes if Clemson loses and there is again a spot open for Michigan.

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

OK. Your scenarios (IMO) are as follows:

If Clemson wins:

1. Alabama
    2. Ohio State
    3. Clemson
    4. Washington
    5. Penn State/Wisconsin winner
    6. Michigan

If Clemson loses:

1. Alabama
    2. Ohio State
    3. Washington
    4. Michigan
    5. Penn State/Wisconsin winner
    6. Clemson

9. LongTimeListener

As a side note to the whole thing, and not that it should matter to the committee ... but I was at the game last night and it really looks like there might be something wrong with Browning. Very little arm strength. Alabama will beat them by six touchdowns.

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Whaddaya mean if!?!?!?!! Aaaaaaaaagh!

TyWebb likes this.
  11. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Why would the order of Michigan and the Big 10 winner change based on how Clemson did?

12. LongTimeListener

Because college football.

I see where Chef's going with that, they will jack it around and keep form with recognizing the conference championship if it doesn't matter, but if it's about that #4 spot it will go to Michigan.

Draft saved Draft deleted