1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football 2016 Week 14/championship week running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Nov 28, 2016.

1. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Is there a former Pittsburgh Steeler who played at USC and perhaps wore No. 6? I'm trying to construct the ultimate SJ.com crosscrosscrossthread.

HanSenSE likes this.
  2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I was really, really hoping it was Dick Shiner.
    Sadly, he played at Maryland and wore Nos. 11, 14, 17 and 18, but not 6.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

USC 1,734
    Cumberland 0

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I can already hear it.
    USC would beat every other team in America right now except Alabama (and penn state).

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

6. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

So eight is not enough?

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

This will be a boring build up to the semi finals. The final 4 teams are not controversial, no matter what ESPN tries to portray. All 4 teams won their last game and all 4 teams were the same as the previous poll and they are 3 conference champions and the next best team.

There are many ways to provide more objective criteria, but this year's field was telegraphed weeks ago.

No one is looking forward to any particular game. UDub is about to go down like a UBoat. And Clemson OSU is a good game, but no natural rivalry, no history of animosity. No build up. And not even a conference war. ACC teams have some natural rivalries with the SEC and Big 10 and PAC 10 are historic rivals.

As a reality TV show, OSU v Michigan and Alabama v Penn State would have been the dream.

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Sheesh, are you forgetting the Orange Bowl just three years ago? And how about this little historical nugget?

[​IMG]

Donny in his element likes this.
  9. heyabbott

I knew Woody choked the Clemson kid, but it doesn't t register as a Clemson thing more like a Woody thing. But games in 1978 and 2014 just didnt register as the kind of historical grudge game that resonates with College Football fans

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I don't think that the final four teams are necessarily controversial, but some of the old ways of thinking should be re-evaluated, and I think that is what ESPN and others - myself included - are getting at with discussing Washington's inclusion. They scheduled absolutely nobody in the pre-conference season. Nobody. Maybe Rutgers was decent when the game was scheduled, I don't know. But I think people are frustrated that they got to schedule their way into the final four by not playing anyone, just because we think there is some real distinction between "one loss" and "two loss" teams. In basketball, you hardly pay attention to how many losses a team had. But in a 12-game, short sample size season, we act like it's definitive when a team loses an extra game on the road three months ago.

11. heyabbott

If not UW, the next best team is Michigan not Penn State. Might as well just call them NFL-lite
    North Division aka Big10
    South Division aka SEC
    West Division aka Pac10 Big12
    Central Division aka ACC plus NotreDame

Division champs plus wild cards

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Does it really matter how many teams are in the playoff? There will always be controversy over the last team in/first team out. We'll always have this discussion.

Draft saved Draft deleted