1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football 2016 Week 14/championship week running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Nov 28, 2016.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Good Christ, get the fuck over USC already. They lost one game by 46 and one game by 17, and their win streak has come against mostly slapdicks and a couple of teams that seem pretty good but have serious SOS questions.

There are about 10 teams that would be favored over USC right now.

Riptide and Donny in his element like this.
  2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

LOL, "get the fuck over ... "

OK, babycakes.

Wins during the streak against teams with "serious SOS questions" ...

Colorado (11th SOS), Washington (17), UCLA (20), Oregon (23), Notre Dame (27), Cal (28). So 6 in the top 30. Those questions sound pretty "serious".

Screen shot 2016-11-29 at 11.54.42 AM.png

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

You've been listening to entirely too much Cowherd.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Songbird is on another Grayson Allen bender here.

5. Songbird

I don't listen to him.

Some serious questions about that response.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

UCLA, Notre Dame, Cal and Oregon are terrible teams.

LongTimeListener likes this.
  7. Songbird

You don't get to have it both ways. Their records stink yet those teams are rated in the top 30 for SOS, 3 of them in the top 20.

Alabama played Chattafuckinooga. Ole Miss (5-7, 13th SOS), Mississippi State (5-7, 40th), and Kent State (3-9, 111th) are terrible teams. Western Ky's SOS is 74th.

The point being that USC isn't going to the playoff (I'm not advocating for such) and don't deserve to go based on September.

But USC *is* one of the 4 best teams today. The teams playing for the Pac 12 title each lost a game -- to USC.

ChrisLong likes this.
  8. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

At lunch I was listening to Rotillo and Kanell with who I assumed was ESPN's expert on college football rankings. One of the thing this guy said about the playoff committee was that it doesn't have a single strength of schedule ranking. More importantly, the SOS rankings out there (ESPN, the one for the old BCS, etc.) are wildly different. Like a team could have a top 5 SOS in one ranking, but be in the 20's in another ranking. Another thing he brought up was that the committee is run by the Power 5 conferences together and if the Big 12 and Pac-12 keep getting the short end of the stick, they will demand some changes.

ESPN Radio and sports talk radio stations outside of the Northeast in general must love the playoffs.

9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Just looking at that list, I would think USC would be rated a clear underdog to, at a minimum, Alabama, Ohio State and Michigan. Further, I think it would be an underdog to at least two of these teams -- Florida State, Oklahoma, Clemson -- and perhaps more. You may be right, but yours is an awfully lonely position.

Donny in his element likes this.
  10. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Don't have Insider, so can't read it, but just saw this and thought of your post: How Vegas handicappers rank top 25 college football teams

11. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

USC has closed the gap on Alabama and would lose, maybe 27-14. The Trojans would beat all of the rest of them, like they usually do in December and January.

12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

OK. Let's try it this way.
    Of the 4 best teams in the country, who is USC better than?

Draft saved Draft deleted