1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football bowl thread: Days of Signs and Roses

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Dec 5, 2023.

1. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Saw plenty at Mardi Gras 1999. The hurricane did me in.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I would like to see a Rose Bowl someday or even just Southern California in general. But I have to chuckle at the idea that folks spending New Year’s in Nola may as well be at a convention in Des Moines.

Batman and doctorquant like this.
  3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Forget the sunset. Those folks are going to bed around SUNRISE!!

dixiehack likes this.
  4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

What’s the wager?

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It makes me laugh hearing coaches bemoan the opt-outs etc. of the bowls - of course the players get what a $500 gift package from the sponsors, the coaches receive an automatic multi-million dollar contract extension AND and $50k bonus for making a bowl game? Hmmm.

Given the contracts for some of these coaches, they should lose a year on their contract and pay a $50,000 fine any year they DON'T qualify for a bowl game. I imagine contracts are being re-written this year - big difference between qualifying for the playoff this year, and doing so next year.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  6. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Yeah, this isn't Red River. In fact, the only person I know who was in Pasadena was in the corner on the Alabama end zone side.

I'm not sure what I think about the national championship game. If this were a Michigan-Washington Rose Bowl, I'd expect Michigan to lose by 30 no doubt, but it's not. I think it's gonna come down to Michigan's pass rush vs. Washington's protection. Penix isn't going to be able to wind up and throw those 50-yard missiles if he gets hit first, but he is a big time problem and their skill guys are elite. Don't really know much about Michigan's offense vs. Washington's defense, though I'm guessing the longer that they can keep Corum and Co. on the field, the better.

Should be a good one. I almost never expect Michigan to win a big postseason game like this, but I kind of wonder if beating Alabama in the Rose Bowl breaks the seal a little bit. Pressure should be equal for both teams.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

If Nipplegate cost CBS $550K, how much will this cost the WWL?

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Free. It’s cable.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

A lot of coaches who don't make a bowl either get fired or immediately put on the hot seat for next season. So they kinda do lose a year off their contract.

10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Totally expected, but a very good pickup for Penn State. Fleming got lost in tOSU receivers' room, but he's going to be playing on Sundays before long. And the Nits certainly needed the help there.

12. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I mean, he was fourth on the team in receiving and there's a chance he would be the top returning receiver plus two others at his position were already in the portal. I can't imagine he left because he wasn't going to get targets in 2024

Draft saved Draft deleted