1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football week 6 thread: UCLA Confidential

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Oct 3, 2022.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

When the courts rule that schools can pay athletes directly and the disingenuous money-laundering operations known as collectives go away.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I understand why they took the shot.

But if you get the chance to watch the play, Charlie Foxtrot is the only reaction I had. Wasn't just poorly executed, it was badly botched. Emmitt Smith would say it was "debacled."

3. Sam Mills 51

Then the folks at College Station will have to try and force Jimbo to change up the coaching staff. Or try everything else they know to make things so miserable that he'll somehow walk away from tens of million of dollars. Because his buyout will dwarf every other figure we've seen in which school have paid off deals. That's a lot more gouging by Big Oil in the Republic to pay that off.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Hate to quote myself, but I just had to brag (or perhaps be horrified) that Johnny Manziel was reading my mind.

dixiehack likes this.
  5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Meanwhile, at the FBS kids’ table, Illinois flicks three triangle-shaped folded paper footballs through the uprights and Iowa only makes two.

Illini 9, Hawkeyes 6. That’s your Big Ten Worst division leader, folks.

Iowa has a bye next week, and it’s offensive output will be about the same.

Neutral Corner, dixiehack and Batman like this.
  6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

What the hell has happened to San Diego State?
    For the longest time they were a Mountain West championship contender and a pretty reliable 8 or 9 win team. Now they're a worse than it sounds 2-3 and trapped in a 10-7 rock fight at home with a Hawaii team that seems to have a safe place inside the rankings of the bottom 10 in FBS.

7. Sam Mills 51

Brady Hoke is back. Rocky Long is gone.

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I envision Collins watching drunk on his couch and saying, “fuck, maybe it was me…”

Batman likes this.
  9. Sam Mills 51

Before or after he empties the beer can and tries to smash it against his forehead?

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Beavers pay off PAC-12 after dark in the dying seconds. Holy cow what a day.

11. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

RGIII sure seemed to like adding the emphasis to “pound the Beavers” in his comments.

Neutral Corner and HanSenSE like this.
  12. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I was at the game tonight (Drove down for the weekend for an informal reunion with some of my college newspaper friends).
    Braxton Burmeister, the transfer quarterback from Virginia Tech, is on concussion protocol, and the freshman quarterback they had recruited to be the long-term guy, recently left the team, so tonight they started a guy who's listed as a safety on the roster. Oh yeah, and they sacked the OC last week and brought back Jeff Horton, who preceded him.

SDSU had a 13-7 lead and got the ball deep into Hawaii territory, then went conservative to set up for the field goal to make it a two-score game, and sure enough the kicker misses it. I turned to a couple of friends sitting next to me and said "They're gonna fuck around and lose this game, aren't they?" Sure enough, the Warriors drive down the field and score with 1:20 left to take a 14-13 lead. The Aztecs to their credit, drive it down the field themselves, and then for some reason call their final timeout with 10 second left, instead of letting the clock go down to 2 or 3 seconds, and kick the field goal to go up 16-14. Hawaii can't do anything for the final seven seconds, but it was seven seconds they never should have had.

What happened? Well, I've gone on record on this board for saying last year's record was a bit of a mirage, and the offensive woes have continued without the good fortune. They're just a mediocre team in a conference that's really bad this year.

But, hey, the new stadium was really nice.

Batman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted