1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football week 8 thread - Austin Powers: The Horn Who Hooked Me

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Oct 14, 2024.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Did that last year on a school bus as we were bused from Notre Dame Stadium back to the lot we parked in. My wife had always wanted to see Notre Dame and my publisher, who's father and brother are ND grads, got us tickets. When it was 50-0 after Christian Vellieux threw not one, not two, not three but four -- FOUR! (Gene Hackman in Hoosiers voice) -- interceptions and Pitt muffed a punt on the ND 5, my wife said, "you're taking this better than I expected."

"I don't even know where to begin yelling," I said. "Every part of it sucks."

Last edited: Oct 17, 2024
    dixiehack likes this.
  2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Probably going to do MACtion II in 2025. One of the guys has a son in med school at Western Michigan.

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

One year we were up in Moscow for a Wyoming-Idaho game and WSU was playing Colorado at the same time. Both games ended roughly the same time, there was a traffic jam in Colfax (as usual) so we were just sitting there listening to the WSU postgame.

WSU had blown a big lead and lost to Colorado. One of the callers "innocently" told the WSU postgame guys, "This happens so often it's almost like we should have a term for it, don't you think?"

The postgame guy, a die-hard Coug, just about blew his top, yelled at the guy and told him to never call again.

Explaining the term "Couging it" to my MIL was fun.

I Should Coco and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

If you get a chance, a Sun Belt tour could be fun. Decently compact league and places like James Madison, Marshall and App State (once N.C. knits itself back together) have solid atmospheres for mid majors. Pretty good fall foliage in those parts as well by the time you get to midweek games.

John and playthrough like this.
  5. John

John Well-Known Member

If you can get to a game in Boone in mid/late November, I highly recommend it. It's one of the few places in the Southeast where you can see a snow game.

FileNotFound and tapintoamerica like this.
  6. dixiehack

Semi-related, App has absolutely cratered this year. Obviously far from the biggest concern in WNC at the moment, but 2-4 and winless in the Belt ain’t gonna get it.

7. dixiehack

How are we into the second half of October and both of these teams are only now playing their third ACC game?

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Fucking Chokies.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Never mind. But that was way too dicey for a minute. Tuten with 266 rush yards including TDs of 83 and 61 yards. That'll do.

10. YMCA B-Baller

YMCA B-Baller Well-Known Member

Turned that game on briefly last night. Virginia Tech was looking very Miami in those orange unis.

11. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

One of the things they got wrong in the new ACC schedule rotation was not protecting the Pitt-VT game, which had turned into a bit of a rivalry going back to the old Big East.

franticscribe, dixiehack and Cosmo like this.
  12. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Each team only gets two protections. One of Virginia Tech's must be Virginia. That leaves the Hokies with one, and ESPN was going to choose Miami over Pitt. The Panthers still get two former Big East foes in BC and Syracuse.

Draft saved Draft deleted