1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football Week Zero Thread: Give Ireland Back to the Irish

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HappyCurmudgeon, Aug 19, 2024.

1. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Here comes the king
    Here comes the big number one

Budweiser beer
    The king is second to none

The king is coming
    So let's all cheer

(And I can't remember the rest.)

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

We’re talking the other Budweiser song.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I unironically went to a BC-NC State game in Chestnut Hill in, say, 2021, and Mr. Brightside was the only thing keeping the students around. Place emptied after that, middle third quarter. Also, full disclosure, I'm a sicko for going to a BC-Pack game as a rando VT supporter just because I happened to be there that night.

4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I'm way late on the Week 0 thing, but I preferred it when Texas started it in 1998 or thereabouts. That's when they started giving schools 11 weeks to play 10 games. It was kind of special the first 4 years or so where teams would schedule neutral sites for games, then it became just another opening week.

The thing I liked best about it is it kept Week 10 as the dramatic finale as it had always been known. Then the UIL changed the nomenclature and Week 11 is now the tension-filled curtain-closer. Just doesn't ring the same.

5. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Alrighty then.

6. dixiehack

Why ban a columnist when you can get the city to tear down the entire newspaper office to erect a building with your name on it?

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

College kids wanting to yell obscenities in public is undefeated.

garrow, dixiehack and Batman like this.
  8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

All I know is when I was in the Tech band, Anheuser Busch became a big sponsor of the band and threw tons of money at us.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Sanders has specific language in his contract that requires him to speak only with “mutually agreed upon media” as part of his employment with CU. The “mutually agreed upon” clause does not appear in the contracts of either Buffs men’s basketball coach Tad Boyle or women’s basketball coach JR Payne — nor was it in the contract of Sanders’ predecessor, Karl Dorrell.

10. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

The Red Sox have put "Mr. Brightside" with a light show in the middle inning that used to have "Sweet Caroline." The song stops and the fans finish the song just like with the song about a 7 year old girl.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I long for the good ol' days, when people who wanted to hear songs about a woman cheating on the singer turned to the music of George Jones.

Tighthead likes this.
  12. dixiehack

Did Georgia Tech really send their cheerleaders and mascot to Ireland? And if so, couldn’t they have spent that money instead on an OK-ish defensive tackle?

Draft saved Draft deleted