1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Columnist opening in Orlando

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by thebiglead, Oct 23, 2006.

1. Moondoggy

Moondoggy Member

May the journalism gods forgive me because I promised myself I wouldn't get caught up in this thread, but AWWWK! One minor point, though, please. We talk all the time in this business about diversity but we don't appear to have the foggiest notion what it means, even when it's right in front of our faces.

Diversity isn't whether I like her, or you like her, or Jason Whitlock likes her.

Diversity is different styles, different takes, different ideas, and, yes, different faces. You don't like Jamele? Well, guess what - there are probably lots of people who don't like what middle-aged white guys write. Not even the almighty (and amazing) Poz. It's not one size fits all. Sheesh, don't we know this by now?

We need more people and more ideas at the table, not fewer. Young, old, black, white, male, female. That's what will save the industry and our own jobs along with it.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

So opinions, as opposed to actually doing, you know, news better will save newspapers? A bit of an overstatement, I would say.

3. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

This thread is about saving newspapers?

4. dooley_womack1

It's wound around to that at this point. But I certainly don't mind diverse opinion. I just want skillfully written opinion, whether I like it or not.

5. Moondoggy

Moondoggy Member

Perhaps. It's also true that it's a big, wide, wonderful world out there and the more faces and ideas at the table, the more diverse a news product (print/online/whatever) will be, and thus the increased likelihood that more people will actually read. Not that any of us are concerned with that these days.

6. dooley_womack1

And people will read, and keep reading, only because it's written by someone who looks like them? That's not giving folks of any stripe much credit.

7. Moondoggy

Moondoggy Member

I do too. I'm just not the final judge on what is skillful. Her style doesn't work for me but I have many other choices if I'm not buying what she's selling. It works both ways. I may not understand why people like her but I don't legislate taste.

8. Moondoggy

Moondoggy Member

Depends on the person, I'd suppose. I can't speak for everyone - which is, I think, the point.

9. dooley_womack1

But a paper doesn't have budget to hire a rainbow staff of 30-40 columnists to reflect the different facets of the readership. It can hire only a few columnists, and I would hope that quality comes somewhere before demographics in those hirings (this is a generality, not directed at any one columnist).

Sure, I don't want newspapers to die. But I'd rather have them die upholding good writing than living as Net Lite.

10. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

You are equating quality with what? Winning writing awards or the praise of your peers? The problem is that when your peers are a lot like you, they are going to automatically celebrate certain viewpoints or certain styles when in fact the readership is much more diverse, not just racially but across many categories. So quality can encompass other aspects of column-writing or reporting.

11. dooley_womack1

So you're saying writing is standardless?

12. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I'm actually saying quite the opposite. There are more standards than I think many outlets consider.

Draft saved Draft deleted