1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coming soon: the NFL's D.C. Cabs?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Circus, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Don't get me started on Christopher Columbus, dammit.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

It was still Yankee Stadium, MC. Not Bronx Bomber Field, brought to you by Maxipads.

That's not to say they still wouldn't sell out. But tradition does count.

3. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I for one look forward to the next controversy once this one is settled.
    Perhaps we can just go ahead and declare the Cubs to be World Series champs since their fans have suffered long enough? Maybe we can turn the NFL into a touch football league to combat concussions? Maybe we can lower the rims in the NBA to four feet high so short people can play? How about we eliminate goalies in the NHL so that everyone can score without someone preventing that and making them feel bad?
    If you don't like the name, don't support the team. It's pretty simple really.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

There is a difference between a name somebody doesn't like and a name that is offensive. I'm not sure why you have such a hard time understanding that concept.

5. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

So is that what we're going with now? That since a small portion of the population is offended by something, it has to go?
    Check out this USA Today story from last year about an AP poll that showed 79 percent of people supported the name, and only 11 percent of people thought it should go.
    79 percent. More than three out of every four.
    (http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2013/05/02/washington-redskins-name-poll-associated-press-gfk/2131223/)
    If that poll is to be believed, then the VAST majority of people don't want the name of a private team in a private business changed but it should be forced to anyway? Really?
    So what you're telling me is that if I want to create change in this world, I only need to find 11 percent of people to agree with me and we can make it happen?
    Good to know.

6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I'm shocked that white people aren't offended by a racial slur that is no way, shape or form used to disparage them.

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Slammed by that page from the White Liberal Guilt Handbook, we trudge on. ;)

8. outofplace

So, if enough people voted in favor of allowing everybody to use the n-word, it would be okay with you. Got it.

And before you whine about the comparison, it is a dead-on perfect match. Redskins is a slur.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Anybody and everybody IS allowed to use it --- and deal with whatever consequences come with it.

As of this moment there are no consequences to the Redskins' name. The trademark issue might be one of those consequences; then again, as last time, nothing may happen there, either. Fans aren't fleeing; sponsors aren't fleeing.

If the time comes when Snyder feels the consequences are to burdensome to bear, he will change it. But it's his decision.

10. outofplace

I asked if it would be okay with him if enough people voted in favor of its use. I think you realize that is what I meant. Schiez is trying to justify the use of an offensive word, a slur against Native Americans, by citing a poll in favor of it.

If this ends up having an impact on NFL merchandise, thus hitting every owner in the league in the wallet, it may not be Snyder's decision for long. To be fair, I do not know what kind of power Snyder signed over to the league when he bought in, but Goodell has shown a knack for taking power for himself and I'm guessing the rest of the owners would back him if Snyder starts costing them money.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That NFL team MUST get rid of its Redskins nickname.

Just as soon as this high school in Red Mesa, Ariz., located on a Navajo reservation, where the enrollment is 100 percent Native Americans, does so. :D

http://rmusdhs.ss4.sharpschool.com/home

12. outofplace

Spoken like a man desperate to defend the use of a slur as a team name.

Draft saved Draft deleted