1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coming soon: the NFL's D.C. Cabs?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Circus, Jun 18, 2014.

1. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Your argument is stupid.
    Show me the professional sports team using the n-word as a nickname, and show me the corresponding Associated Press poll that says 79 percent of people support the use of said name and then maybe you'd have a point.
    To you Redskins is a slur. That's great. I understand why you may be offended. Unfortunately, you are in the VAST minority on this issue and, last I checked, you have no controlling interest in the team so ... why does your opinion on this topic matter?
    As of right now, the only person whose opinion matters here is Snyder. That's a fact.
    If Goodell and the rest of the NFL decide to force him to change the name, that's another battle altogether but I'm glad he's not giving in here because he shouldn't have to.
    If 11 percent of people felt passionately that Starbucks should change its name to WhalesVaginaCoffee you know what would happen? Nothing. Because 11 percent of support does not equal a majority of support and if you tried to appease all the people all of the time, you'd fail.
    In conclusion, the 11 percent of people who think this is an issue need to go find a hobby or take up a craft because if their happiness is defined by something so trivial, well, they're in for a lifetime of disappointment.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Hell no,. Why should I?

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

Leave him alone, he's a hell of a filmmaker.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

So, if a group is a small enough minority, it is okay to insult them and use racial or ethnic slurs against them? That is what you are arguing. Your argument isn't just stupid, it is ignorant and demonstrates a complete lack of understanding of the principles this country was founded upon.

I'm not offended by the name of the Washington Redskins. I'd be thrilled to never hear that idiotic fight song ever again, but that's about it. But unlike you, I have the ability to see things from the perspective of others and to actually give a damn.

Sorry, but just because you have a majority on your side does not make it okay to put people down. You should know better and it is sad that you do not.

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

As I understand it, a few years back a poll of Native Americans was done and some 90 percent said they didn't find the nickname offensive. There were some methodological quibbles with that poll IIRC, but let's assume those aren't serious. At what percentage -- of those folks, not the broader population -- would we begin to say, "Meh, this isn't that big a deal and this minority-within-a-minority should simply go pound sand"? 95%? 99%?

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

It's laughable to think the Redskins have the longest season ticket waiting list in the NFL. If you want season tickets, you can get them today.

7. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Aye. Many teams say this shit. The only one to which it really applies is Green Bay.

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Maybe I should've said the largest. They may not wait long, but they certainly put a shit-ton of people on it.

9. JackReacher

There's no wait. You can call right now and get season tickets.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Sheesh.

Just because a word CAN or HAS been used as a slur doesn't mean it is construed as such on every occasion. If the NFL team, say, had a history of cartoonish or offensive advertisements toward Native Americans or demonstrated a Donald Sterling-esque antagonism toward them, that would be one thing. But none of that happens.

Linguists believe the word "redskin" was created by Native Americans. They created the word, for crying out loud.

The fact that several high school teams with predominately Native American enrollments use the term demonstrates that, even to many at which the term is directed, it is in no way a slur or an insult.

11. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I just looked this up a little more closely. You're right, but geez, what a scam the Redskins are running with their "wait list." I'm not a Redskins fan, but I'm kind of surprised I missed all of this:

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/articles/37109/wait-service

Basically, it looks to me as if they call it a "wait list," but they really just use it to gather customers for their mailing list. Someone can sign up, get notifications that they're on the "list," receive all of the sales pitches, and get nothing in the end. If that same person just calls, they'll get tickets right away.

LOL.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  12. JackReacher

Yup. It's been a joke for a while now. Back in the 80s and probably into the 90s, there was a legit wait list from what I'm told. Wonder what happened between, say, 1992 and now to change that?

Draft saved Draft deleted