1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coming soon: the NFL's D.C. Cabs?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Circus, Jun 18, 2014.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm not spouting it at every turn. I'm directing it to Mark, who has proven that he is one time and again.

2. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

If you want to get philosophical, who is to say what is right and wrong? If it's not the majority of our community (or our society), then who is moral arbiter?

3. outofplace

Bigotry is wrong. The use of slurs against any minority is wrong. You really want to argue either of those points?

Neither of those things becomes acceptable just because a majority decides the word is fine.

4. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Bigotry is wrong. Because the majority of our society has decided that bigotry is wrong. It wasn't because a few people decided it was wrong and forced everyone else to go along with it.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Is Dan Snyder a racist? Are fans who have cheered for the team and players who have played for the team racists?

6. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

A few random thoughts:
    1). I'm not a Native American. I can understand how Native Americans can be offended by a team called the Redskins. I don' think it's right for me to tell them they shouldn't be offended or if they're offended, too bad, suck it up.
    2). Is this really something that offends Native Americans or is it mostly coming from non-Native American liberal shit disturbers?
    3). Were we better off as a society when it was OK to use the n-word and gay slurs in polite company?

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

So if enough people decide that something is wrong, everyone else should shut up and get in line because the majority makes it right?

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Didn't work so well for Nazi Germany, did it (Oh, did I go there?)

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The person who originally named the team was a racist.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

So in 70-something years, how many players have refused to play for the team because the name is "racist"?

11. outofplace

You tell me. You know all about being a racist.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Never been a huge Snyder fan, but it has nothing to do with team names. "Racist" is your term, not mine.

Draft saved Draft deleted