1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coming soon: the NFL's D.C. Cabs?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Circus, Jun 18, 2014.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Profanity is wrong. Adultery is wrong. Lying is wrong.

Everybody has different threshholds for what "wrongs" they will do themselves and what "wrongs" they will accept by others.

And you cannot slur yourself. As such, since the word "redskin" came from Native Americans, a great many people do not consider it a slur and do not consider its use "wrong."

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Bending over backward to defend the use of a racial slur does not speak well of you. That includes your ongoing attempts to ignore evidence presented on this very thread that the origin of the word is not as clear as you are trying to make it out to be.

3. outofplace

Bullshit. It was always wrong, even when some forms of it were socially acceptable. It is truly disappointing that you need to have that explained to you.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If I saw a Native American walking down the street, if I called him a Brave in a Indian, I would expect to get punched in the face. The same holds true for calling him a Redskin.

This is all hypocritical bullshit until they make all teams toe the line.

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

And you don't get to stamp your foot and barrel through solid points by dissing the other guy. Oh. Wait.

6. outofplace

When I see a solid point, I'll keep that in mind. What I see is Mark doing his usual racist trolling and others actually buying into the lame justification for the use of a slur against Native Americans.

7. BTExpress

For something that is "not clear," you seem to be asserting with 100 percent clarity that it is a slur.

Which means you are ignoring the ambiguity in its origins, something you accuse others of doing (but not yourself, of course).

8. Paynendearse

Paynendearse Member

My ancestors are Vikings. They're sick of being portrayed as a cartoon character.

My friend's ancestors are Steel mill workers. Unemployed Steel Millworkers. They're insulted that they are portrayed in a great light when the government has ran over them.

His friend's ancestors are Packers. This wasn't pass through the union. They're pissed.

His friends ancestors are Cowboys. They're highly embarrassed that the football team in Arlington tries to represent the brave guys of the Old West.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Not even close. The logos might be offensive but the names aren't slurs.

10. BTExpress

So now "Indian" is a slur, too. ::)

The National Museum of the American Indian might disagree with you.

11. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

OK. Maybe we should just settle this whole issue by deferring to OOP. Since he's so skilled at trying to talk down to people, he must know something no one else does.
    It's laughable how ridiculous this entire premise is and the people on this board trying to claim this is a civil rights issue akin to voting rights and segregation are just as dumb as the hicks who scream "freedom of speech!" anytime someone gets fired for saying something stupid.
    Seriously. Buck up on your reading people. If you think a professional football team's nickname warrants the same kind of passionate rebuke that Rosa Parks inspired by standing up for the rights of African Americans, you are too stupid for the internet and should turn in your computer immediately.
    I get offended all the time. I am offended Kim Khardasian is famous. I am offended that Justin Bieber is allowed to enter the USA. I am offended by just about every single thing Rush Limbaugh says. You know how I get over being offended? I don't watch Keeping up with the Khardasians, I don't go see Justin Bieber in concert and I don't listen to Rush Limbaugh.
    Why is it that people can't get over the notion that if something offends you, you can simply not make that a part of your life and move on with your daily business? Why must we change EVERYTHING to appease a small percentage of people who are going to bitch about everything else anyway?
    I can not stress this enough. If you are offended by the Washington Redskins nickname, DO. NOT. WATCH. THE. GOD. DAMN. WASHINGTON. REDSKINS.
    Don't watch them. Don't go to their games. Don't buy their merchandise.
    If Redskins really is as offensive a term as you think, then people would stop showing support for the team and, eventually, Dan Snyder would be forced to change the name from a business standpoint because it would devalue his brand.
    But the majority of people support the name, as a recent poll by one of the largest group of worldwide journalists show. What else do you want?
    My god. Some of you people are intolerable.

12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

schiez for the score.

Draft saved Draft deleted