1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coming soon: the NFL's D.C. Cabs?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Circus, Jun 18, 2014.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

That's not what I was doing. I was refuting your argument that the magnitude of the racism matters when determining how offensive it is. And, the absolute fucking ridiculousness of polling white people about it. Of course a vast majority of people the slur is not directed at won't see what the big deal is.

Most of the rest of what you wrote is not really worth a response. I will, however, add one more time that NO ONE IS FORCING DAN SNYDER TO CHANGE THE NAME. This is a court decision to pull the REDSKINS TRADEMARKS because law says you cannot trademark something that uses disparaging language, therefore the team will no longer receive federal trademark protection. Dan Snyder is still free to use the name, and you are still free to support or not support the team.

This was a trademark challenge brought by FIVE NATIVE AMERICANS (not a legion of easily offended automatons hell-bent on pussifying this country), which in case you've forgotten, is the group the slur is meant to denigrate. They used the legal process to challenge the TRADEMARK PROTECTION and a court sided with them. That's despite the Redskins' best efforts to lobby politicians and attempt to buy off Native Americans to win support.

Maybe you're the one who needs to do some reading up.

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

By the way, if people want to talk about percentages, try debating the percentages used in the actual decision, not percentages of white people who shouldn't get a say.

Feel free to agree or disagree, but here is part of the rationale used to cancel the trademarks:

According to the decision, it was established that “at a minimum, approximately thirty percent of Native Americans found the term to be offensive” during the relevant time frame.

“Thirty percent is without doubt a substantial composite,” the decision reads. “To determine otherwise means it is acceptable to subject to disparagement 1 out of every 3 individuals.”

Also, keep this in mind:

The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office has refused to register trademarks containing the word “Redskins” about a dozen times since 1992 on the grounds that the term may disparage Native Americans.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/us-patent-office-cancels-redskins-trademark-registration-says-name-is-disparaging/2014/06/18/e7737bb8-f6ee-11e3-8aa9-dad2ec039789_story.html

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Hey, look, I agree with oop!

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I'm not stunned ...

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

You're doing that thing you do.

By trying to be "non-judgmental" and give every argument a fair hearing and equal weight, you make yourself look very dumb.

schiezainc is a but hurt fanboi, making ridiculous arguments. Mark is a blatant, unrepentant racist.

Never taking a side does not make you a better, wiser person.

6. jr/shotglass

Congratulations on having all your message-board buddies figured out. Have a cappuccino.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Mark admits he's a racist, he doesn't hide from it so why do you pretend he isn't?

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

#hottakes

9. jr/shotglass

That's a good question.

It's not that I pretend he isn't. It's that I see no need to bring it into every comment he makes, which oop and some other people do.

I'm not a racist because I don't believe the American Indian has been irreparably harmed by the use of the Redskins nickname. Mark's not a racist because he doesn't believe the American Indian has been irreparably harmed by the use of the Redskins nickname.

Mark's racist in and of itself. It doesn't have anything to do with his views on the best cheesesteak in Philadelphia, but you can be sure oop would make that part of the conversation.

And I know that ties right in with YF's view that I'm too willing/anxious to look at all sides of an issue, but I'm not going to look upon that as a fault even if he does.

10. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

Actually, yes. Somebody replied on Facebook with the comment that St. Louis Blues is offensive to color-blind people. I added also people who are depressed.
    #WhySoSerious

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

And along those lines . . .

Mark doesn't hide from it, but he also doesn't get into personal attacks and insults with other posters. Doesn't call them stupid, or ignorant, or foolish. Takes the high road, for the most part. For all the anger and venom his posts stir on occasion, they are NEVER insults at other posters. They don't go back and forth, causing a thread to be locked. They're just the way he looks at life. Hell, he may be the most honest poster in this damn place. And he sure as hell doesn't lie his ass off claiming to "sympathize with the feelings of others" the way oop claims to . . . before hurling another batch of insults at others who (gasp!) happen to disagree with him on a particular issue ("Stupid, ignorant, foolish, liar"). Yeah, Mr. Fucking Full of Sympathy and Compassion and Understanding there.

12. jr/shotglass

Couldn't have said that much better. (And I know I've been guilty of the pissing matches myself.)

Draft saved Draft deleted