1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coming soon: the NFL's D.C. Cabs?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Circus, Jun 18, 2014.

1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Behave yourself, for once. Don't make me take off my belt.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Please be very clear in that nobody on this site is encouraging you to remove any articles of clothing. Thank you.

3. For those adamant "Redskin" isn't offensive, go to Pine Ridge, White Earth or Window Rock and see how you fare.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Snyder must have the PAC up and running -- three Virginia state legislators (and schiezainc, of course!) are forming the Redskins Pride Caucus.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/va-legislators-want-to-create-a-redskins-pride-caucus/2014/06/23/6f691fbe-faf5-11e3-932c-0a55b81f48ce_story.html?tid=hpModule_99d5f542-86a2-11e2-9d71-f0feafdd1394

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

If Snyder decides he wants to change the team name, fine. Won't bother me one bit either way.

I guess the things that bothers me is the frequency with which I hear "I'm offended" in society and expect that the world owes them something. Well, guess what? I've been offended plenty over the years. I'll tell them the same thing people have told me for decades "get over it and get on with your life".

6. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I'm a journalist so I would never publicly support any PAC but, yeah, good on them. I really do hope Snyder digs in and refuses to buckle. I might even buy a REDSKINS jersey to show my support. :)

7. outofplace

The difference being you are offended by having to exist in a world with minorities. They are offended by the slurs people like you use.

8. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

You really are dense. I argued that as a society it was wrong because the majority of those who live in our society deem it so. What I believe personally and what society deems is right and wrong can be - and sometimes are - two different things. My argument is that you don't get to decide what is right and wrong for others. Now tell me again what I understand dipshit.

9. outofplace

You don't understand the implications of your own post. Bigotry is wrong. Mistreating people without good reason is wrong. We don't need a majority of our society to tell us that. Well, at least I don't. You apparently do, which speaks more to your own failings.

But hey, keep leaning on personal attacks to cover up your intellectual failings.

10. Hokie_pokie

Hokie_pokie Well-Known Member

Creosote's post still wins this thread.

Doesn't matter where you fall on the issue. A bunch of non-Native Americans opining about whether or not the name Redskins is offensive is ... well, stupid.

Of course, I've been greatly amused watching some of you contort yourselves to defend the use of a racial slur, so there's that.

11. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Taking a stand against prejudice isn't "stupid."

12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

When you're right, you're right. Still like what I said there.

Draft saved Draft deleted