1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coming soon: the NFL's D.C. Cabs?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Circus, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Hokie_pokie

Hokie_pokie Well-Known Member

Never said it was -- I'm with the crew that absolutely thinks it's offensive as hell.

But I also understand that my opinion on this issue doesn't mean dick.

If Native Americans are fine with the name, I'll have to be fine with it.

If they're not, then Little Danny needs to make a change pronto.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

OK, hokie, that's fair. But where are you drawing the line here? If 5% of Native Americans aren't happy, change it? 10%? 51%?

Because 99% of me is sure 51% of Native Americans really don't give two hoots.

3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

It's easy to resent contrarians coming in and saying everyone is wrong for wanting change.
    The name has served its purpose- whatever that ever was or is.
    Danny is going to have to take no for an answer, for once.
    Fuck him and fuck his city and team.

4. Hokie_pokie

Hokie_pokie Well-Known Member

Isn't the threshold Creosote cited earlier a fairly decent gauge?

If 30 percent or more oppose it and nothing happens, that's basically saying to 1 in 3 Native Americans that their opinion isn't worth shit.

Maybe some here are OK with that. Schieza would probably advise them to stop being so overly sensitive. But that's not something I'm comfortable with.

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I lean more in schiez's direction than yours, but I can fully understand your take.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Big fan Khloe Kardashian has a Redskins-themed birthday wish for North West! Maybe Snyder went too!

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

I'll just wait for you to tell me when the good reasons are, oh arbiter of right and wrong.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I don't have time to give you the education you seem to be so sorely lacking, given that you need the majority to tell you that bigotry is wrong.

9. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Once again, you are drawing your own conclusions regardless of what is written. Yet you talk down to others about reading comprehension.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

But it WOULD offend you if the team's name is changed without the owner wanting to?

To that prospect I say, "Get over it and get on with your life."

11. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

So, just so we're clear, if you're not a Native American, you don't get to discuss this topic? Interesting.
    I thought this was a message board of journalists meant to spur debate over topics of national relevance. Sorry I was mistaken.
    I guess because I'm not a Native American, I shouldn't comment on the word Redskins. Well, guess what? I'm a sports fan. So I think I'll comment all I damn well please, thank you very much.
    And I'm not defending a racial slur. I'm saying, unequivocally, that I don't believe it is a racial slur and neither do the VAST MAJORITY of people in this country. If you disagree, that's fine. Go convince 40 more percent of the population that you're right and I'll take your opinion seriously.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The Flat Earth Society applauds your logic!

Draft saved Draft deleted