1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Concerts thread: Best/Worst/Next/Last one you attended?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Aug 1, 2007.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Never been on this thread because, honestly, I hadn't really attended any concerts since college. Even then, I was more apt to see an emerging band in a small venue than a major artist. Until recently, Bon Jovi was the only show I ever attended that had more than 2,000 people in attendance.

Anyway, since COVID ended, I've kind of been on an "experience" kick. I have more money now than I ever had when I was young and I most certainly have a greater appreciation for attending gatherings beyond just sporting events.

In the past couple years I've seen Blake Shelton, Zac Brown and Kenny Chesney, and I don't even really like country music (Kenny and Blake were unbelievably good shows, FWIW). This summer, I have tickets to see a couple of my favorite bands of all time — Foo Fighters and Pearl Jam. I don't think I've ever been this excited to see a show, and I have two to look forward to.

I was disappointed to see Stone Gossard admit that the band is getting old and shows on this tour will not run 3 hours as they usually do, but that's on me for waiting this long to see my favorite band in concert. I give Pearl Jam credit because they have really done their best to make their shows affordable to fans. I joined the Ten Club a couple years ago for a nominal fee and, because of that, I have tickets to see them stagefront in the pit for $175 each. Similar seats to Chesney cost us $900+ (and it was among the best concerts I've ever seen).

I feel like Dave Grohl is going to rock my face off this summer and Eddie is going to sing his ass off and my grungy ass is going to just love it all.

2. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Lukas Nelson and Dwight Yoakam are playing here next month, but their shows are part of the hoopla surrounding the eclipse, since this area is prime viewing. I wonder how bad traffic is going to be trying to get there and back home.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  3. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

Pearl Jam hasn't played three hour shows since they returned after COVID. It was a shock to the system for fans who have been a lot, but once you get used to it it really isn't that different. Still widely varied shows and you never know what you are going to get. I saw a show last year where they didn't play a song from Vitalogy (probably not a big win for those who want the hits, but super cool they would take that chance) and then the next night played at least one song from every album. If you are a big fan you will likely not be disappointed even though the shows are shorter. I have been to nearly 40-song, 3.5 hour marathons, a couple, and honestly some of the best shows I have seen have been since COVID. I saw them four times last year and got something like 12 or 14 songs I have never heard live before. I have four this year, both Vegas and both Wrigley. By the way, they are still like 2.5 hours, so nothing to shake a stick at.

The Foo Fighters don't put on as varied of shows, but if there are better entertainers out there right now, at least in a rock sense, I don't know who they are. I saw them last fall and they were amazing. You won't be disappointed there either. I need to get tickets to the stadium show this year and do it again just because.

I am seeing Weezer, who is playing all of the Blue Album, and Green Day, apparently playing all of Dookie and American Idiot, this year too. Smashing Pumpkins are playing with Green Day. Going to be a 90s fest for me.

4. Flip Wilson

Was looking forward to Jon Batiste in Austin tonight, but Mrs. Flip is sick, so we gave the tickets to some friends. A couple of years ago, they gave us their tickets to a Brandi Carlile show that they couldn't get to, so I guess we're even now. Still sad to be missing the show. Tickets were a Christmas present to my wife, and she's really bummed.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Not music, but our publishing team in Minneapolis took us to a comedy show tonight at Acme featuring Kelsey Cook, and holy shit, I laughed my ass off. It's been a long time since I've seen live comedy and now I feel like I have to add more comedy shows to my life.

6. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I've just seen her stuff on Facebook reels and TikTok, and she's freaking hilarious. I'd definitely go see her.

Cosmo likes this.
  7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Just went on a ticket binge for some upcoming shows...
    Ratboys with Ducks LTD next Tuesday night
    Drive By Truckers on June 10, performing the entirety of Southern Rock Opera
    Ben Folds a night later. Every time I've tried to see him live, it hasn't worked with my schedule. Work night for me, but who cares, need to check him out at some point.

$118 for the three isn't too shabby, really.

FileNotFound and Tighthead like this.
  8. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

That's a good price for three shows. Also, imagine telling 1994 you that you'd be happy spending $118 for three shows.

Roscablo likes this.
  9. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Anybody seen Dwight Yoakam lately?

We're thinking about seeing him at a little theater just south of the Mall. I've always loved is music, but don't want to waste a couple hundred bucks if he's a miserable show.

10. Mr._Graybeard

Mr._Graybeard Well-Known Member

Daughter is a fan of Andrew Bird, so we have tix for a May appearance. He reminds me a little of young John Cale.

FileNotFound likes this.
  11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

This is stretching the definition of “lately”, but I saw him play a bar in Nashville about eight years ago. His music is not my thing but he was really good. Enjoyed it very much.

12. Flip Wilson

He’s gonna be in these parts next week, but it’s a free show as part of the eclipse celebration. Lukas Nelson will also play, a couple of days ahead of Dwight.

Draft saved Draft deleted