1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Concerts thread: Best/Worst/Next/Last one you attended?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Yeah, it sold well and did well critically but I tried and tried and tried with that album and it just never hooked me in. But my taste in music has wildly veered from spectrum to spectrum over the last few years, so maybe it’s just me. He has more than enough stuff from his catalogue that I adore to make a concert worth it for me.

Cosmo likes this.
  2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  3. Woody Long

Woody Long Well-Known Member

Saw Dead & Co. at the Sphere this past week, and it was probably the most incredible melding of musical performance and visual effects I'll experience in my life.

misterbc likes this.
  4. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

I had altogether put it out of mind that I'd be able to attend The Gaslight Anthem's Central Park show, but my daughter decided to return to college in NYC next week, and I figured, what the hell. I'll fly up from NC with her, get her settled back into her apartment, and hit the show. So that's what I'm doing. I really can't believe it.

I can't wait to see my favorite band in NYC. I've always wanted to see them at least close to their roots. And it's only a week away.

Cosmo and FileNotFound like this.
  5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Just now seeing this article from the start of summer. Arena tours are dying on the vine.

Artists Are Canceling Arena Tours Right and Left. Maybe They Shouldn’t Have Been Playing Arenas in the First Place

Last edited: Aug 20, 2024
    Huggy and TigerVols like this.
  6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I was surprised to check recently on Green Day’s stadium tour stop in Seattle and see lots of seats available in just about every section of T-Mobile Park. The rotting shell that remains of the Smashing Pumpkins opens.

Granted, the show is a Monday night in late September at a venue that will require navigating a traffic nightmare to get there. I have always wanted to see Green Day and always have missed their show when a tour came to my area, and it looks like that trend will continue.

I’m curious to see how their ticket sales are going for this tour … will look it up later.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Given the lead time tours are announced, why doesn't Live Nation just give a city, and then figure out whether it will be an amphitheater, an arena, a theater or a club based on early ticket sales? They already budget the tours that way so there is limited risk. Or do the "dynamic pricing" thing. Bring the cost down if they're slow, raise them when they're high. The secondary market (or lack of one in some cases) is what is killing these tours.

8. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

Green Day is fantastic. Go see them. If there are that many seats available, you might be able to get some cheap seats. I am seeing them in Denver the first week of September and can't wait. Seems tickets have been kind of hit or miss on their tour. I know they have sold out a handful, but then others have lots of seats available. Who knows what goes into deciding to do stadium shows? Maybe they are looking at an overall tickets sold? I am kind of interested in Smashing Pumpkins, but not getting my hopes up.

I Should Coco likes this.
  9. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

Helping the kid move back into her apartment today in Brooklyn. Gaslight Anthem in Central Park tomorrow. Cannot wait.

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Just caught up to this story.

We saw Tedeschi Trucks Band last Thursday at Budweiser Stage, a shed on the shores of Lake Ontario with a capacity of probably 16,000. I know TTB plays sheds in the summer and they played Bud Stage last year but just like last year, I took advantage of Live Nation's $25 ticket offer in May to get tickets to their show.

The lawn was closed so capacity was maybe 10,000. There were posts on the TTB Reddit page the day before the show about cheap tickets ($10 plus fees so it was about $20) courtesy of a local pizza chain promotion and some rumblings about ticket upgrades for those (like us) with tickets in the 400 section. Sure enough upon arrival our tickets were scanned and we were asked if we'd be interested in a free upgrade much closer to the stage in the 200 section. We jumped at the chance and based on what I could gather when we got to our seats, so had a lot of other people. I've been to countless shows in arenas and sheds and that's only the second time I've been upgraded: we were moved from the upper bowl at Scotiabank Arena to the lower bowl closer to the stage for a Who show in 2018 or something.

It was incredible show, they are really one of the best live bands on the planet but they would be so much better in a smaller venue, maybe playing multiple nights.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I missed the show, but John Mellencamp played here this spring at the civic center. Not the 15,000-seat arena; but at the 2800-seat music hall on campus where my daughter has her dance recital each May. So at least someone gets it.

12. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Saw them at Fenway. They're still at the top of their game. GO.

I wouldn't bust ass to be in your seat for all of Smashing Pumpkins. If you can time it so you're in there for the last half of the set, you should be happy.

Bullet with Butterfly Wings
    Beguiled (new and boring but you gotta sit through it after BwBW)
    Jellybelly
    Cherub Rock
    Zero

I Should Coco and Roscablo like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted