1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Craig Carton arrested

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Sep 6, 2017.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Usually the first step is, "My client is innocent and looks forward to defending himself in court." Right now it's just a charge. First you want them to lay some cards on the table first to assess how good a case they have and how it might play out at a trial (or what kind of plea you can get if you play nicely).

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Here is the CBS Sports Network Lineup
    CBS Sports Network Schedule - Are You Watching This?!

Tiki Barber - former NY Giant
    Brandon Tierney - Brooklyn native
    Boomer Esiason - Long Island native, former NY Jet
    Craig Carton - Brooklyn native
    Adam Schien - native NYer, lives in Manhattan

That is a fucking excellent way to build a national TV network, CBS.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

What's the CBS Sports Network?

4. poindexter

Its on Direct TV. They have D1 college football and basketball games.

5. The Big Ragu

Craig Carton is a Brooklyn native like I am the Duchess of Windsor. I was reading before that he went to New Rochelle High School.

6. poindexter

My bad.

To the rest of the country, its all just fucking New Yawk.

It'd be like you saying that someone is from LA, and I explain, no, they actually grew up in Torrance.

7. The Big Ragu

Yeah. I get it. In general, though, when you do the "Brooklyn native" thing with regard to a white guy and sports, you had better be talking about someone who grew up in Flatbush or Bay Ridge or Bensonhurst. Most of Brooklyn isn't even Brooklyn anymore.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Brooklyn is an amusement park for yuppies.

9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Unwatchable.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I forget the details, but Carton claimed that after getting hired in 2007, he was called into a meeting with the PD, Mark Chernoff and Francesa, and Francesa was an asshole to him (not sure how). He came away from that meeting disliking Francesa, and over the years he and Boomer have made fun of Francesa on the air. Whenever anyone brings it up to Francesa on his show, he shuts it down, says he's never listened to the show, never will and that those guys don't exist to him.

It's all pretty petty, and is arguably the worst part of the Boomer and Carton show. Listeners may revel in it, but as a former newspaper guy, it strikes me as similar to one columnist ripping another columnist at your own paper. I don't think it's right to rip a co-worker on the air, especially since it usually comes out of nowhere.

I actually rather like the Boomer and Carton Show, though it's not without its flaws. Hopefully, if this thing turns out as bad as it appears, WFAN will find Boomer another partner because he's very good. Chris Simms would be my choice, unless they plan to have him take over for Francesa.

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

He doesn't claim to be a Brooklyn native. He talks all the time about growing up in New Rochelle.

12. poindexter

That is why I wrote "my bad".

bigpern23 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted