1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Creepy voicemail of the year

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JBHawkEye, Aug 15, 2006.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I believe as firmly as the next guy that you don't do anything to give credence to a nut-job, but have you responded to this guy at all? Your post said email and voice mail. He'd probably back off if he got any idel you were paying attention. Doesn't have to be much, something along the lines of, "We appreciate you reading our paper and taking the time to voice your opinion about our coverage. We'll keep your suggestions in mind." He thinks he's having input and you can roundly dismiss him after that. But this really sounds like someone who feels his misgivings are falling on deaf ears.

2. PEteacher

PEteacher Member

Uhh... Tonya Harding-Nancy Kerrigan.....

3. lono

lono Active Member

Refer him to your editor and/or publisher. I'm sure they'd like to chat with him. ::)

4. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

I e-mailed him back after his first complaint, and I also responded after he nominated his daughter for prep of the year, saying we don't accept nominations from parents, or anyone.

The sad thing is, his daughters are actually a.) good athletes and b.) from what I understand, pretty good to work with, according to the coaches. From what I hear, Dad likes to go to games and just yell and umpires/referees the whole night.

Real piece of work.

5. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

to SCeditor, i told parents they shouldn't worry so much about the damn newspaper. told them we write what happens, and take pics of the games we can get to. it has nothing to do with their child. some understand that, others don't.

In this case, some parents need to realize their child is not the only one playing. i have no problem with a parent being proud of their child, but come on.

I may respond to the parent by saying we appreciate his comments and all nominations are looked at equally and without discrimination (which he probably thinks you are doing). If he doesn't get it and persists, talk to your editor. If he threatens you, tell him you don't have to subject yourself to threats and hang up.

6. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

Come on Breakyoself, I was just giving you shit. I just blew the calls off and went to The Bar.

7. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

of course you did, to oogle at all the underage girls they let in to get fucked up. but i ain't mad at ya. and i knew you were giving me shit. i like giving readers shit when they bitch. it's my specialty.

8. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

Typically, I was too drunk to oogle all the underage girls. And they weren't letting them in when I was there.

9. joe

joe Active Member

Fucking great.

10. jay_christley

jay_christley Member

I got your back JB.

11. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Thanks. I might need it. Can't wait to go back to work tomorrow to see what sort of voicemails await.

12. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Put the dad on a plane that has Samuel L. Jackson on it, and tell him to have a nice day.

Draft saved Draft deleted