1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Crisis in the Ukraine

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NoOneLikesUs, Feb 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I doubt the threat of intervention by anyone would be taken seriously. It is obvious that nobody would intervene and go to war with Russia just as the Russians or Europeans would not intervene if the US decided it wanted to invaide Canada or Mexico.

I don't know why so many people think the US has to be world cop.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

If we're not going to war, then why should it matter if Putin takes Obama seriously?

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well, because he's a wimp, pussy, etc etc etc because he hasn't sent the B-52s over Moscow yet.

4. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

I don't know much about the geopolitics of the former Soviet bloc, but I do know that every president in my lifetime has employed essentially the same foreign policy. I mean, the Romney and Obama foreign policy debate was pretty much the two guys agreeing with each other, with the occasional you-haven't-seen-what-I've-seen condescension from Obama and the occasional I'd-do-it-tougher-than-he's-doing-it nonsense from the equally internationally inexperienced Romney.

Anyway, my honest question is: If Putin has been so emboldened by Obama's words, why didn't he send his troops swarming into Syria to squash that rebellion?

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Putin's saber-rattling is not going over well among his friends ...

http://world.time.com/2014/03/03/putin-ukraine-crimea-russia/

6. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

I mean, if Obama's "red line" misstep was such a consequential one, why did Putin capitalize on that situation with diplomacy instead of force? And why did his diplomacy achieve an end for the US? I suspect the truth is that Putin knows that nobody in the West is willing to start World War III over the Crimea, the same way that he was unwilling to start World War III over Syria, because Putin knows that his people are tired of war, and that the West's people are tired of war, and all anybody anywhere really cares about is their economies, stupid. I don't understand what, exactly, Obama or his hypothetical replacement could have done to prevent Putin from attempting to prevent the loss of his extremely lucrative control over a Russian-dominated republic. Follow the money.

Also: Putin is out of his element because of democratization of mass media, which has enabled unprecedented organization of opposition movements, and unprecedented levels of scrutiny. WWIII might be impossible because of the number of people in rival countries who would be united in opposition to their country's involvement.

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I can't pass this one up.

Having served for 18 years, I CANNOT WAIT for these cuts to begin. Thanks to a bullshit war that needed hundreds of thousand more, MY Army is full of fat asses, worthless pieces of shit, bad leaders and criminals whom I'd rather not work beside.

Since taking command, I am doing my dead-level best to cut the numbers.

So, take the Hagel/Obama carving up the military bullshit somewhere else, unless you know what the fuck you're talking about.

8. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Subjecting the Kremlin to a constant loop of Love Shack isn't going to help, I'm afraid.

9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Troops? We don't need troops. We got DRONES, baby! DRONES!!

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

"Rock Lobster" might do it.

11. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Issue has been with the redonkulous threats.
    No one here has advocated a show of force.
    Put that strawman back in the shed.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

If he pisses off the oligarchs, then he's in trouble.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.