1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Crisis in the Ukraine

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NoOneLikesUs, Feb 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

OK.

What brand of foreign policy would have prevented Russia from exerting its influence on the Ukraine?

Or, perhaps you could point to a past President whose policies made Russia or the Soviet Union reconsider exerting control over the Near Abroad?

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

One candidate in the 2012 election viewed Russia as a geopolitical foe. One, who had already been in office for four years, viewed that idea as laughable:

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

CTE is setting in. His tiny frame took one hit too many when he was a slot
    receiver for The U of Leningrad.

4. YankeeFan

I'm pretty sure he played tight end.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

And now he's pissed off that he wasn't compensated enough for lining up in the slot as much as he did.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

What would Romney have done differently? Have at it.

Proceed, coffee-machine repair man.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yep. He's the Adolf Hitler of his generation.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Wherever he is right this second in the Great Beyond, Hitler is walking around with a shit-eating grin.

"They're oozing mein name, AGAIN!"

9. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

"A geopolitical foe" ≠ "the biggest geopolitical foe."

Also, Baron, speculating as to how others would handle it is NOT a defense of how it is being handled. It's irrelevant.

10. YankeeFan

I'm guessing he wouldn't have sent his Secretary of State to Geneva to meet with her Russian counterpart, carrying a silly "reset" button (that was a typo).

He would have handled Iran, North Korea, Syria, Libya, Egypt, Iraq, and Afghanistan differently.

LOL. Et tu Baron?

The idea that this upsets me is funny.

I do sell and service commercial coffee and espresso machines for a living. It doesn't embarrass me.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Look, Russia going into Ukraine doesn't have a damn thing to do with who is President of the US, except possibly to provide ample evidence that Putin doesn't give a damn because he's not afraid of the US. Maybe Putin fancies that Obama is a clown. OK, whatever. That's not what Obama was elected for to begin with.

Apparently, the deposed president of Ukraine (who was loyal to Putin) asked Putin to help and Putin was all too happy to oblige. I think the answer was something like "As soon as the Olympics are over and the TV cameras turn off, we'll come fix things for ya."

12. YankeeFan

Is there a signature foreign policy achievement of the Obama Presidency, or of Hillary Clinton's tenure as Secretary of State?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.