1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Crisis in the Ukraine

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NoOneLikesUs, Feb 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Handling those conflicts differently would have made Russia think twice about intervening in the Ukraine because ___________ ?

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I would submit that ending two stupid, pointless wars which we were losing qualifies as a foreign policy achievement. I would also submit that international relations moves a little more slowly than Internet message boards, so the outcome of this issue is far from determined. Could get better, could get worse.

3. Paynendearse

Paynendearse Member

Uh, the Afghan war is still very much in play.

4. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

How 'bout not involving us in an unnecessary foreign adventure that cost thousands of American lives and trillions of dollars.

That's a pretty good achievement.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

" ... but Russia’s foreign minister said there would be more discussions in the days ahead to see how to 'overcome the crisis,' leaving open the possibility of a solution."

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I'd still put it as the biggest foreign policy achievement to date. But, look, Obama wasn't elected based on his foreign policy expertise. He was elected to save an economy that was on the brink of going over a cliff. Anything else was considered gravy.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Just to clarify "nothing" now that it's too late and the horses are already out of the barn. Good leadership is proactive and not reactionary. Leading from behind
    is reactionary.

8. Inky_Wretch

Perhaps if the USA hadn't gone into Iraq - which drew all the foreign jihadis into Baghdad - Russia wouldn't be in Crimea because it would be bogged down fighting an insurgency in Chechnya.

Plus it might mean our military wasn't spending trillions there, so acquisition and R&D programs wouldn't have been shuttered as we shifted to replacement mode for the equipment expended in Iraq.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Russia has always been in Crimea . Their entire Black Sea Navy never left.

I'm sure that if the Merkle goverment was under siege that we would make
    a move to protect our troops in European headquarters in Wiesbaden.

10. Inky_Wretch

Yes, I know. And surely you understand what I was saying too.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

We're still waiting to see how Obamacare plays out.
    Oh, you said unnecessary foreign adventure, not domestic.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

And how's that economy thing going?
    At best, this president has been a C-plus on almost every front. At best.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.