1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Crisis in the Ukraine

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NoOneLikesUs, Feb 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Double J

Double J Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Because of geography, history, language and culture, Ukraine cannot have Russia as an enemy. The damage Russia could do to them --- without a single drop of bloodshed --- is beyond any help the West could provide.

Crimea was never intended to be separated from the Kremlin. It was only given to the Soviet Republic of Ukraine as an "on paper" gesture from Ukrainian-born Khruschev on the 300th anniversary of the republic's merger with Tsarist Russia. It's Russian. Period.

The nation is divided. At least 50 percent (and most of Crimea) do NOT want to be cut off from Russia and certainly do not want the big bear to have any reason to turn on them.

Remember, the previous "Western" president ended his term with a 4 percent approval rating and received 5 percent of the vote in the initial runoff election in 2010 --- the lowest percentage ever by an incumbent European leader.

How do you explain that?

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

He also sang like a canary in the Hanoi Hilton, while we're at it.

4. BenPoquette

BenPoquette Active Member

Of course not...the evidence is CLEAR he had a handle on everything, that his "reset" policy with Russia was brilliant. The fact that the Russians do not currently occupy Crimea is proof he was totally prepared.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

There's a reason why Ukraine has a sizable Russian population. It has do due with a forced famine, and a policy of moving ethnic Russians into Ukraine.

Crimea's Tartars were forcefully evicted from their homeland.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Yeah, where was America during the Holodomor that killed 7 million Ukrainians?

Hell, you don't even see it in history books here.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I have some friends in Texas who are just irate over what they feel is tyrannical and unjust domination by the evull fedrrull guvvmint in Washington, and they would just love it if Putin would throw his support behind their independence movement.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'm worried Obama will offer up the neighborhood next to mine to placate the Ukrainians for their loss of Crimea:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukrainian_Village,_Chicago

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I think the Russians would be in Crimea no matter what any POTUS had done the past few years. But if there's something that could have been done to prevent it, I'm interested hearing it.

10. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Are they ethnic Ukrainian or ethnic Russian? Seriously. I am curious. I believe ethnic Ukrainians are heartsick but are ethnic Russians?

11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Ethnic Ukrainian.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

We Didn't Start The Fire.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.