1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Crisis in the Ukraine

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NoOneLikesUs, Feb 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

But even if the US was capable (i.e. hadn't wasted trillions in Iraq and hadn't had the budget cuts), Putin would still know the USA wasn't willing to risk war over Crimea.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

When you increase spending to accommodate a decade-long engagement in Iraq and Afghanistan, at some point the engagements will end . . . and you will reduce spending.

We have more than 5,100 nuclear warheads, spend more on defense than all other nations combined and have been in more military engagements over the past century than all other nations combined.

I guess some people consider spending more than two days in a row at peace "projecting weakness."

This is what's making the rounds these days on Russian forums:

We have a shitty reputation, but it's not because of any perceived "weakness."

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Who cares about those facts? Foreign policy should be based upon narratives and slogans.

4. BenPoquette

BenPoquette Active Member

What about cutting the military to "Pre-Pearl Harbor levels" does this have to do with? This is not a "slogan," it is a fact. Besides, if it was up to Obama the surge would never have happened and Iraq would have gone quite differently...not that it matters. Without a status of forces agreement when we left, the bad guys are running the country anyway. Speaking of slogans, I thought Al Qida was dead and Detroit was alive. Funny how that worked out.

5. Baron Scicluna

Iraq also would have gone quite differently if Bush and Cheney had done their homework on the differences between a Sunni, a Shiite and a Kurd and not believed it would be a cakewalk where we would be greeted with candy and flowers.

6. Here me roar

Here me roar Guest

Ben, three bags full already answered this. Please argue with him about the level of military spending and act like you know more than he does. Because you don't.

7. Baron Scicluna

Guess who wants nuclear war with Russia?

http://news.yahoo.com/sarah-palin-nukes-best-putin-containment-strategy-005149323.html

8. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Oh, Butters. ... You're still so damn Butters.

Also, what is a Qida?

9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

+ 4

10. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Yes, I think he would would. But in most of the ex U.S.S.R he would face fierce resistance. Look at how hard it was for the Russians to stop the war in Chechnya.

And Russia is already being affected. The Russian ruble has dropped, increasing the price of imports for Russian consumers. This is a big deal in Russia. And to protect the ruble the central bank has increased interest rates by 150 basis points. The Russian economy only grew about 1.5% last year so not Putin risks a recession.

11. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

The more I read about this the more I'm convinced it's two ultra right wing factions trying to out Godwin Law each other.

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Interesting read from the New Yorker

http://m.newyorker.com/talk/comment/2014/03/17/140317taco_talk_remnick?mbid=social_retweet

McCain should really be told he isn't President.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.