1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deadspin: Manti Te'o's dead girlfriend story was a hoax

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Small Town Guy, Jan 16, 2013.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Jesus.

2. Knighthawk

Knighthawk Member

I may have missed a debunking along the line somewhere, but isn't there a picture of them together? I'm not trying to give any weight to the gay lovers theory - I don't believe it for a second - but I thought they had met at least once.

3. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I believe there was a reference in the original deadspin piece from the same alleged "anonymous friend" of Roniah's that gave the bogus "80 percent" statement that he/she'd also allegedly seen online pics of them together.

But, to my knowledge, nothing has ever been produced to back up that claim. Deadspin has never repeated or followed up on it. No actual pic or other evidence has been produced to support it. Neither Te'o nor Tuisiasopo have ever claimed they've met in person. Nor does any other evidence suggest they have.

In other words, that (along with the 80s percent quote) now appears to have been nothing more than deadspin buying into some bullshit artist's attention-seeking bullshit because it fit their preferred narrative at the time.

4. Brady Hoke catfished his players.

http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/index.ssf/2013/02/brady_hoke_explains_how_michig.html

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Does this very sad and tragic revelation change anyone's opinion of this overall story? Tuiasosopo was repeatedly raped as a child:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2013/02/manti-teo-hoax-tuiasosopo-family-shaken-by-news-of-molestation.html

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Life experience can turn you into a homosexual?

7. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

He spent hundreds of hours talking on the phone faking a woman's voice. That is beyond weird.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Tuia sounds like he would have been an idea partner for Michael Jackson. It's too bad that the two of them never hooked up.

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I hate to be Mr. Cynical, but why do we often hear people who do fucked-up things turn to the old "I was raped" card.

Sexual abuse of children is a serious topic. It shouldn't be tossed out there as a get-out-of-jail card, as it often is. It diminishes the trauma experienced by others who don't cry wolf on a national stage.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

At this point everything uttered by either principal (Te'o or Tuiasasopo) in the case can safely be presumed to be bullshit, concocted in an attempt to pander for public sympathy, set up a lawsuit, improve legal defendability, or out of sheer stupidity (more likely for Te'o). Bottom line it's all bullshit.

11. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

I would subscribe to your free online blog.

12. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Yes, there are photos of them at the USC game. Te'o said Tuiasasopo showed up, but his "cousin" Lennay couldn't make it. That is the only time they met, and Tuiasosopo said in the Dr. Phil interview that he had planned to break it off then, but it didn't seem like the right time. It seems there are many people commenting here who haven't seen/read much about it. I watched Part 1 of the Couric interview and both parts of Dr. Phil, and both guys were pretty damn convincing. I don't think Tuiasosopo's tears were manufactured, and his parents were there to back him up. His dad even said he recalled the dates/times of trips/visits when Ronaiha said he was molested. Doesn't mean it's true, but he convinced me.

This doesn't prove anything, either, but I'm pretty sure they showed some better-quality photos of them together on Dr. Phil's show:

http://www.tmz.com/2013/01/24/manti-teo-ronaiah-tuiasosopo-awkward-hug-video/

Draft saved Draft deleted