1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deadspin: Manti Te'o's dead girlfriend story was a hoax

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Small Town Guy, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I think he's talking about the other main one. And, for that matter, the other other main one.

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

The most recent main one. Damn, you get around. DD thinks highly of Craggs.

3. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

No, no.

DD IS Craggs.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I hear typefitter is Tom Scocca.

5. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Ruckus is Daulerio.

6. Knighthawk

Knighthawk Member

Glad you agree - Cragg's ego is really getting out of control.

7. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

That's gonna leave a mark.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I would pit Uncle.Ruckus as Will Leitch, thinking he was starting something to save the world that really was more or less the same thing we had before with the cap turned back.

9. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Yes . . . "Cragg's"(sic) ego. That's what I was referring to.

I took the low-hanging fruit, and am ashamed.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'm a rare bird: I like both Deadspin and good long-form storytelling, which, by the way, Deadspin does provide, as well. Without Esquire's penchant for embellishment. Or the New Yorker's for 25-inch digressions on the 14th-century roots of the modern hand sanitizer pump.

I'll say this: It's pretty revisionist to say that the "80 percent" quote was just a throwaway line buried late in the story. Deadspin hung its hat on that for weeks. It wrote a lot of follow-ups making fun of Notre Dame truthers who didn't think Te'o had orchestrated everything from Day 1.

The world needs a cynic. Espeically this world, in which awe-inspiring giants and noble knights roam most sports pages. But a cynic can overreach sometimes, too.

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I would argue that only someone on this board would think that's a rare thing. Visit longreads or longform.org, and it's obvious how overlapping blog culture and long-form culture have become.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Good point. Yeah, let me add, "rare bird on this board." The only place the war seems to be going on is here, and between Tommy Craggs, Tom Scocca, and, like, two random writers at Esquire.

Draft saved Draft deleted