1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deadspin: Manti Te'o's dead girlfriend story was a hoax

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Small Town Guy, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Vikings should draft him then. Kluwe would have his back.

2. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Yeah, that is exactly what would happen. Maybe he would be embraced by the gay and liberal communities. But he would largely be shunned by teammates in the NFL.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

It started to fall apart during the opening drive of the Alabama game.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It does look bad. But, if he had just learned it was a hoax, and wasn't prepared to announce that, he may have felt compelled to go along with it for the time being.

Not saying it's right, but he may have decided to lie rather than deal with the embarrassment. He also may have been advised not to say anything because they were trying to investigate it.

5. YankeeFan

LOL. That's great.

Then he could fuck all the girls who take pity on him and want to "convert" him.

6. YankeeFan

New York Times explains "Catfishing":

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I talked to my friend who was catfished tonight for a while. He said he believes Te'o, and feels basically kinship with him. Sees the same patterns he went through. He said the experience has essentially ruined his life.

8. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

Teo loves his fake dead girlfriend.

9. YankeeFan

It ruined his life? Why?

I mean, I could see it embarrassing him and or pissing him off, but ruining his life?

10. YankeeFan

Oh, and how did you end up talking to him and bringing up the subject? Sounded like it had been taboo for a long time.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

He called me tonight to talk about it after the Te'o story blew up.

He said the people continue to harass him, harass women he sees, etc., etc. They've hacked all sorts of his accounts, his cable, etc., etc. Some scary stuff.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

“@slmandel: Te'o's uncle went on Utah radio today, told story of meeting Ronaiah Tuiasosopo. Suspected he was using Manti. http://t.co/U73mBFf6”

Draft saved Draft deleted