1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deadspin: Manti Te'o's dead girlfriend story was a hoax

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Small Town Guy, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I can't speak for the rest of the teams in the NFL, but Connor Barwin has done a great job of putting such a thing out there, on behalf of his brother.

2. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I think the NFL would be the WORST league to come out. Those guys are the most cocky/hardcore/war-mentality athletes there are. I would say the best would be: 1. NHL 2. MLB 3. NBA 4. NFL.

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I'm disappointed it took all of three whole minutes for me to be asked that. This board is slipping.

4. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

No way can you put the NHL above the MLB.

5. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

It's one thing to support your gay brother, or speak out on gay marriage as other NFLers have done, and completely another to shower/hug/pat the ass of a gay teammate. I am not saying it's right in any way, but that's the culture.

6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I considered swapping those, but those two would be the least hostile, in my opinion.

7. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

8. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Something I have no experience with, so you with this one.

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

10. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I have no "experience" either. Well, I did play a lot of sports in my younger days, but the NFL or college locker room is a whole different beast.

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

NFL locker rooms turn over more frequently than those in other sports. Even if a guy got crap for being openly gay, half the haters would be gone the next season.

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I was called out for stating as a fact that Te'o knew on 12/6 the story was false but continued to talk about her on 12/8 at the Heisman.

ND/Swarbrick said they found out on 12/26.

Well the transcript says Te'o told ND on 12/26; BUT he had sat on it for 2 1/2 weeks and got the strange call on 12/6.

So he did know about it on 12/6 yet perpetuated the myth 2 days later.

"On the morning of December 26th, very early morning, Manti called his coaches to inform them that, while he was in attendance at the ESPN awards show in Orlando, he received a phone call from a number he recognized as having been that he associated with Lennay Kekua. When he answered it, it was a person whose voice sounded like the same voice he had talked to, who told him that she was, in fact, not dead.
    Manti was very unnerved by that, as you might imagine. I will let him again talk about that and his reaction to it. But he maintained that secret vis a vis the members of the football family until he called the coaches on the morning of the 26th. They promptly reached out to me to inform me of this shocking piece of news, and I arranged to meet Manti upon his return to campus and did so on the afternoon of the 27th."

http://www.newsday.com/sports/college/college-football/transcript-of-jack-swarbrick-press-conference-about-manti-te-o-1.4460419

Draft saved Draft deleted