1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deadspin: Manti Te'o's dead girlfriend story was a hoax

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Small Town Guy, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Turtle Wexler

Turtle Wexler Member

Don't want this to get buried. These are excellent questions.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Teo's agent? Wait, what?? :eek: :eek:

All snark aside, ND's best course in this whole fiasco would have been to say, "No Comment."

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I smell some bad lawyering....Rule 1 in law school, make sure one does not win the battle, only to lose the war.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I think there's a strong element of truth to this.

Pete Thamel told Dan Patrick today that he did check LexisNexis and Google for anything on her death, but while "small red flags" were raised in his mind, he also says in his experience that "it's 50-50" whether any college-age person would have a "footprint" on LexisNexis yet. So I guess he didn't find it that unusual when he didn't find anything on Kekua.

Also read where he said his SI story was due two hours after he was allowed to sit down with Te'o. Not exactly much time for in-depth fact-checking.

That said, he's also had three months now to assuage any concerns he may have had. And I don't care that the story's already written -- lots and lots of reporters, including Thamel himself (who went to freaking Turkey to chase down a lead on a Kentucky basketball recruit two years ago), have spent time tracking down these types of loose ends after the fact. Lots of reporters could have done more here.

5. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

That's what the desk is for, dude.

[/ducking]

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

In the second hour Dan Patrick was saying the fake girl was a volleyball player for Stanford - which I've not seen or heard anywhere else.

7. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Follow the money. And, somewhere under this pile of pony sh–t, there's some money.

8. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Camel toe!

Or is that imaginary camel toe?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Buck, regarding the 50/50 quote, this girl was at Stanford. You don't get into Stanford without accomplishing something. Grades, sports, community - something that would be recognized somewhere online.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

There isn't a community newspaper in the U.S. that wouldn't print a line or two about a local kid getting into Stanford.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

If she went to Podunk High with C grades, and went to a JC, perhaps no footprint.

Thamel's internal radar sucks, or he is just covering his ass for laziness.

Draft saved Draft deleted