1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deadspin: Manti Te'o's dead girlfriend story was a hoax

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Small Town Guy, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I definitely didn't think there'd be a sports story that would make the Suzy Favor Hamilton is a high-priced hooker story look downright normal a month later.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yeah I can see that difference.

Playing along ... that would be a fun list. Off the top of my head I would put Suzy Favor right up there with this one, though.

EDIT: Posted before I saw STG's take. I have some work to do for a couple hours but I am going to try to think of some stuff.

3. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Well, except the imaginary girl who died.

5. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

In the early stages of when this broke I did a myspace search (I mean, why not? The guy is into music) for Tuiasasopo's name. A photo of a woman (who didn't really look like a woman) came up.

6. New girlfriend is a 6.

[​IMG]

Te'o must not be that devout if he's hooking up with non-Mormon girls.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I didn't think Penn State was weird. Just sad and enraging, but completely "ordinary" in a horrible way. Powerful institution only interested in protecting itself, sexual predator putting himself in a position to be around plenty of victims. Story as old as time.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Santa is the second-realest person in that picture, huh?

9. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

“@Deadspin: Newspaper: "Lennay" called Manti Te'o in December and said she'd faked her death to elude drug dealers: http://t.co/RnxEWj5R”

11. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Appears that was the December 6 phone call where Manti finally figured it out. It took a resurrection from the grave.

12. "Reba" is 23-year-old Diane O'Meara, an Internet marketing "executive" in L.A. Who believes she was innocent?

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/national/2013/01/diane-omeara-manti-teo-girlfriend-photo/61160/

Draft saved Draft deleted