1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deadspin: Manti Te'o's dead girlfriend story was a hoax

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Small Town Guy, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

And OKC at Dallas goes to OT, delaying SportsCenter.

2. Still think the 8-hour phone calls are BS.

3. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Why didn't they play any of the audio from the interview?

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

That report by Schaap was a joke. He sounded like a PR flak for Te'o.

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Jeremy Schaap is about as dangerous as Roy Firestone.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Now Manti claims he wasn't fully convinced the girl did not exist until two days ago?

Otherwise known as the "Too Stupid To Live" defense.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

So whoever was behind this had a girl pretend to be Lennay to meet the Arizona FB and had a kid pose as Lennay's niece?

8. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

The kid posing as a niece has come up in a couple of other stories (one from a girl who set out Lennay's sister and the radio interview with the uncle from yesterday). The more different people corroborate it, the more I'm buying into the fact that the guy behind this bit was almost pathologically committed to it.

9. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Which is perhaps the most accurate and truthful defense here.

From the evidence/details that've emerged today, I actually think the story's pieces are starting to come together. Although admittedly, it does require an assumption that this guy was hopelessly naive and gullible. But such people do exist, otherwise we wouldn't have a thriving Nigerian Prince email industry.

Dec. 6 is the day when he received the phone call giving him obvious doubts, but I don't believe either Teo or Swarbruck claimed he definitively "knew" that day (even if the less gullible obviously would've). Dec. 26 is the day he informed ND, prompting them to commission an independent investigation, the final findings of which I'm guessing they didn't get until quite recently. Then a couple days ago the Deadspin piece is published leaving no remaining doubt. So, on that basis, I can see how he can state that he wasn't "fully convinced" until recent days--at least in terms of when he saw something resembling definitive proof.

I no longer believe for a second that he was in on it. That just makes no sense, he has no motive whatsoever to do that, the beard/gay theory was the only basis upon which I could possibly see that making sense, and that apparently ain't the case. And other evidence coming out today reveals that Tuiasasopo is a legit scamster who's duped others besides Te'o with essentially this exact same hoax.

And to the extent that Te'o did go along with it after Dec. 6, or told some little white lies/embellishments along the way, I suspect it was more about avoiding monumental embarrassment than anything else. You can call him a rube, an idiot, "too stupid to live" etc., but I don't believe he's a hoaxster.

10. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

I understand, Stoney.

I, too, believe in dragons and unicorns.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'm seriously stunned that people still think that Te'o is some conniving mastermind. Not a shred of evidence supports his involvement. Tons of it points the other way.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Cui bono?

Draft saved Draft deleted