1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deadspin: Manti Te'o's dead girlfriend story was a hoax

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Small Town Guy, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It's fair to comb through stories an transcripts. But each piddly discrepancy in the depositions isn't the smoking gun that brings the whole house of cards tumbling down. It's a data point. His response to Thamel about how they met - something about a "cousin" - was brief and quite garbled.

2. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

He says now that the relationship started as a freshman. So this went on four years? And he denies things that were reported about meeting her, saing he "lied to my father" about having met her in person because he dind't want to disclose an online relationship. Yeah, well now he can go back and say stories of him meeting her were wrong and make up an excuse. Another thing, I have read where Lennay had died the same day as his grandmother, Sept. 11. Hard date to forget don't you think, 9-11? Now both died on Sept. 12.

Also, here's a part from Schaap's article. This is when he said he found out but kept talking about her to reporters in interviews. So in that sense, he was involved in a hoax:

"She said, 'It's Lennay,' " he said. "So we carried on that conversation, and I just got mad. I just went on a rampage. 'How could you do this to me?' I ended that conversation by saying simply this: 'You know what? Lennay, my Lennay, died on Sept. 12.' "

Te'o said he was just confused at this point, and told his parents -- and then the Notre Dame staff -- over Christmas that Kekua might be alive. Notre Dame then started an investigation.

Te'o spoke of Kekua as his girlfriend several times after Dec. 6. One was at the Heisman Trophy presentation in New York on Dec. 8 to ESPN's Chris Fowler. Another was on ESPN Radio the same day. There were two other times, including a column in the Los Angeles Times on Dec. 10. He was also asked about it at a Jan. 3 news conference before the BCS title game but did not refer to his "girlfriend" directly.

3. Dick Whitman

What inconsistencies remain unaccounted for at this point?

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Teo was hanging with Klein and Manziel during the Heisman weekend. Be interesting to hear their take and if he mentioned his beloved Lenny to them.

5. Dick Whitman

Klein MARRIED a girl he had never kissed. No one has questioned it. Is it any more plausible than having an Internet girlfriend?

6. Eight-hour phone calls.

7. Boom_70

One thing for sure Te'o has done wonders for the apostrophe key. A little used key on the keyboard now tossed into the limelight. I stopped using mind as I am afraid that it is going to break down from over use

8. Boom_70

Didn't Thamel do that story ?

9. Dick Whitman

10. Dick Whitman

If that is indeed his actual name.

11. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Where's the contrary evidence? There's no "inconsistency" that's been shown there.

12. Boom_70

Just checked , Thomas Lake did the Klein story about not kissing his wife until they were married.

Maybe if Lake ever gets his clearance to join SJ he can give us his thoughts

Draft saved Draft deleted