1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deadspin: Manti Te'o's dead girlfriend story was a hoax

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Small Town Guy, Jan 16, 2013.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I assume it's a contractual obligation since ESPN was the broadcaster for the game.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

One thing is sure, if I were Roniah Tuiasasopo, I would watch my back very nervously for the next several years.

Although Manti doesn't appear to have the brains to set into motion any endeavor to fuck the boy up real good.

I think if I had been Manti, this whole thing would have been over a long time ago. Just like Roniah Tuiasasopo would have been.

3. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

He could use some Starman Justice.

ESPN says flowers sent to "funeral" were sent to address that belongs to Tuiasasopo family. And the house is currently littered with business cards of media that has been coming and going all day.

4. champ_kind

champ_kind Well-Known Member

i know he had a lot of reports to sift through in preparing his questions, but did jeremy schapp not see the south bend tribune's article explaining that brian te'o was the one who said they met at stanford in 2009? seemed dumb that he kept asking manti about it when it's been released where that information came from.

5. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

What are the odds that, instead of getting the deserved ass kicking, Tuiasasopo ends up profiting nicely off the notoriety from this? The saying about"any publicity being good publicity" has never applied more than today. Book deal, movie deal, reality show, whatever, there's numerous ways the douchebag may end up turning this into fat dollars.

6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, he has the material for one hell of a book.

7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

To answer the Skype question that has been asked numerous times on here ... Pretty lame explanation, but from the AP's Q&A/Timeline:

Te'o claims they tried to make video phone calls using Skype and FaceTime, but he said he could never see her face. She would say she could see him and tease him about being able to use the technology correctly.

He has to be the most sheltered/gullible kid on Earth.

8. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

You think this sort of "painfully authentic" anguish that he was unnecessarily causing ever concerned Tuisiasaopo for a second? Or perhaps the more anguish and distress he caused, the better he felt about himself. Pure sociopath. It's good that he's been exposed, I hope they get his accomplices soon.

9. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I imagine he really enjoyed the whole thing. Calling and saying she faked her death is the topper. What a fucking sick bastard.

10. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

He was so in love with this fake girl he didn't make a finger to go see this poor girl who was in a car accident and had leukemia.

Honestly, if you believe his side, the "I was completely DUPED!!!!" side, then you're part of the sports journalism contingent for whom critical thinking is merely an abstract idea.

11. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I guess the key wording there is "completely." Do I believe he was duped? absolutely. Do I believe he had anything to do with formulating the hoax? Absolutely not, there's no evidence of that, it makes no sense, and the evidence that has emerged indicates that he did not. I do acknowledge that he may've gone along with it for a period after discovery for purposes of evading monumental embarrassment, or whatever, so yeah I acknowledge that he may not be entirely without guilt, and if that dispels the "completely", so be it.

But, I would point out that you seem to be the one that's ignoring the evidence that's emerged, and instead basing your opinion primarily upon the inherently cynical view of human nature you nearly always display on here. At the root of your view is the fact that you want him to be a co-conspirator, so that's what you'll assume. When this story broke, I agreed with you, I assumed that he must've been in on it. It's only after I learned more of about the elaborate details of the scam, Tuiasasopo, and others who apparently were also duped, that I changed my view.

My opinion about what likely occurred is based primarily on the evidence I've seen. Yours appears to be based more on this inherent baseline assumption you seem to have that human beings are crap and, when in doubt, always assume the worst about them.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted