1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deadspin: Manti Te'o's dead girlfriend story was a hoax

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Small Town Guy, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Again I raise this: If Deadspin doesn't use the "80 percent certain" quote and frame Te'o as the perpetrator, would anyone even have thought that?

2. champ_kind

champ_kind Well-Known Member

amen, stoney. nothing points to him being in on the creation of the story. he misled reporters and lied directly to his parents.

he also was a colossal idiot by being so gullible, although he at least knew that other people who think the "relationship" was crazy, though that didn't stop him from believing it.

it does suck for him that it seemed he had a choice between lying asshole and biggest idiot on the planet and now looks like both, but it's his own fault.

3. Eight-hour phone calls set off my BS detector.

4. Dick Whitman

He didn't say they talked for eight hours. They just kept the phones on while they slept.

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I hope neither one snored.

6. Dick Whitman

He certainly snored through the Alabama game.

7. champ_kind

http://www.southbendtribune.com/sbt-notre-dame-football-teos-father-confirms-tribune-quotes-20130119,0,7980981.story

Brian Te'o admits to telling South Bend Tribune that Manti and Lennay met in 2009

8. Still think it's BS. It's "tailored" to fit the narrative.

9. champ_kind

phone records could easily prove that, though. not guaranteeing they will, just saying that's something that can be checked.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Supposedly devout Mormon kid growing up in a tight-knit Samoan culture in Hawaii? I don't think him being that sheltered/gullible is too far out of the realm of possibilities.

11. champ_kind

http://www.southbendtribune.com/sbt-investigating-the-hoax-20130119,0,2728454.story?page=1

details on the "thorough" investigation notre dame had conducted

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I was thinking it long before I hit that line in the article.

Draft saved Draft deleted