1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deadspin: Manti Te'o's dead girlfriend story was a hoax

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Small Town Guy, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

You got that right.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

There is nothing particularly abnormal about his behavior. It's textbook. Love struck college boy idealizes distant love.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

There's often a lot of jokes and criticism when NFL teams have the players take the Wonderlic and the hundreds of questions psych tests. In Te'o's case*, it's a must.

*Just looks weird with two apostrophes.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Can someone tell me why this story remains so all-consuming? Who the fuck cares.

5. Dick Whitman

Because it's a mystery and mysteries are intriguing.

6. Tarheel316

But as a megastar football player at Notre Dame he surely had limitless opportunities to get girls right there in South Bend.

7. Dick Whitman

Certainly. And real girls have flaws. They reveal themselves. Lenny Kekua could be idealized.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if blue font was implied, but either way...

If the fake girl was Samoan, Mormon (did she claim to be Mormon?), family oriented, pretty, an athlete, a Stanford student/grad, etc., she might appear perfect to Te'o.

How many chicks like that are out there?

And, while he may have dated other girls, he may have imagined her as his best long term prospect, once he graduated and was well situated for a more serious relationship.

And, the guy behind the hoax knew Te'o well enough to create the "perfect" girl for him.

I'm not sure why it's surprising he would "fall" for "her".

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Exactly.

10. She wasn't Mormon. Easier to make up a fake girl. You could easily find someone in "her" ward if she were.

11. Tarheel316

Blue font was the intention but I still don't see how he could be so taken in by someone he had never met.

12. How many devout Christian Samoan girls are there in South Bend?

Draft saved Draft deleted