1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deadspin: Manti Te'o's dead girlfriend story was a hoax

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Small Town Guy, Jan 16, 2013.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Three years. He had three years to see her face to face and didn't. No trips, no layover back to Hawaii. None.
    There's your sign.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

A lot of this, though, is that there were very few people buying the "Lance is clean" angle and the end result was known. There's definitely been more devoted to Te'o than Elizabeth Seeburg or Declan Sullivan. You know, real people.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Seeberg and Sullivan didn't pay the game so sportswriters and sports readers don't care. And the SouthBend Tribune is to Notre Dame what Fox News is to the Republican Party

4. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

This post was brought to you by the year 1998.

Hey, isn't that O.J. story crazy?

I wonder if there's online video of the car chase!

Did you see that Joe Namath is dating some starlet? Wonder what Deadspin will say!

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Katie Couric to do first on air interview with Te'o.

Oprah and Katie, hard edged objective journalists who k ow the story is not about them

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And involved in TV enterprises desperately seeking relevance.

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Radd, your post helps support my posts. I didn't say all the Internet stuff was in the past five years. The OJ case took over almost everything for a year, and the rise of the Internet right after that took 24/7 celebrity gossip to whole new levels.

What newsroom of any decent size hasn't reshaped itself with "celebrity journalism" and Web clicks in mind?

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

True, and I realize the salacious nature of the story...but I'm still surprised that it's being ridden day after day now by all media...when there's so little to report, and the guy was hardly a household name. In other words, I totally get why one corner of the "journalism" world is all over it; I'm just surprised that every quadrant of the industry is hyperventilating over it.

9. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Probably not as many as in Hawaii ...

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Couric: COURIC: And when it comes to establishing your view on relationships, I was curious, what kind of girls and women did you regularly date before you were embarrassed by this?

Te'o: Oh, you know, all of em.

COURIC: Can you name a few?

PALIN: I have a vast variety of ladies who don't live only on-line. South Bend isn't a backwater country, where, it's kind of suggested and it seems like, 'Wow, how could you keep banging the kind of girls they bang at USC. Believe me, my Twitter feed is like a microcosm of America, and I've had relations with many of them."

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I love the Freudian typo of Palin when talking about hooking up, you sly dog you.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

This may be your best post yet. I totally agree.

Draft saved Draft deleted