1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deadspin: Manti Te'o's dead girlfriend story was a hoax

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Small Town Guy, Jan 16, 2013.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Speaking of fiction...
    The Dwarf warns everyone to back off because no one was hurt. After all, fabrication of the truth is no big deal... he has a kindred spirit
    http://www.freep.com/article/20130120/COL01/301200155/Mitch-Albom-Whom-did-Te-o-hurt-in-girlfriend-hoax-

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

And slurping Notre Dame's musky nutbag trumps all other considerations.

Maybe Mitch interviewed Lennay in the stands as she waited for her other boyfriends, Jason Richardson and Mateen Cleaves, at the Final Four.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I mean, it's cool that he admitted it, but hasn't that been assumed all along? That he went with it for a few weeks after he found out she was fake?

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

After December 6th.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Poor context, Azrael.

Is that different than what he told Schaap? I remember he told Schaap that he didn't know "for sure" she was a hoax until two days before the Deadspin story, correct? Is there any indication that this has changed? I'm surprised you're not giving him the benefit of the doubt.

And there's no quote from Te'o in that AP story in which he says he "lied," right? Seems like a pretty poor interpretation of the quote they used and, if there is more, they should have used more.

The only thing he lied about was maintaining publicly that she had died. At that point, Dec. 6 and after, he knew she hadn't. But he didn't know she wasn't a real person.

Which he already told Schaap nearly a week ago.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

No, Manti. WWJD?

Tsk, tsk.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I'm repeating the headline of the link, Dick, not interpreting it.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Fair enough.

ESPN did a poor job with that headline. That kind of surprises me, since it had the same scoop five days ago, through Schaap. If I were working there on the desk, I would probably have emphasized that somehow in the headline - or at least made it prominent in the story that this is not new news.

10. JackReacher

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/petal-pusher-te-hopes-receipt-funeral-flowers-proves-duped-lennay-kekua-article-1.1245555

11. "Lennay" a 6?

[​IMG]

I think the 8-hour phone calls are mularkey.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. JackReacher

Probably just a matter of time until someone unearths his phone records, right?

Draft saved Draft deleted